Any trait or quality of something. A descriptive fact about a thing.

For example, color is an attribute of physical objects which is observed by the eye.

In some object-oriented systems, an attribute is another name for a property or data member of an object.

Common term used by roleplayers to denote qualities of a character distilled into numbers. An example might be Strength where a 14-Strength character is much brawnier than an 11-Strength character.

At*trib"ute (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Attributed; p. pr. & vb. n. Attributing.] [L. attributus, p. p. of attribuere; ad + tribuere to bestow. See Tribute.]

To ascribe; to consider (something) as due or appropriate (to); to refer, as an effect to a cause; to impute; to assign; to consider as belonging (to).

We attribute nothing to God that hath any repugnancy or contradiction in it. Abp. Tillotson.

The merit of service is seldom attributed to the true and exact performer. Shak.

Syn. -- See Ascribe.

 

© Webster 1913.


At"tri*bute (?), n. [L. attributum.]

1.

That which is attributed; a quality which is considered as belonging to, or inherent in, a person or thing; an essential or necessary property or characteristic.

But mercy is above this sceptered away; . . . It is an attribute to God himself. Shak.

2.

Reputation.

[Poetic]

Shak.

3. Paint. & Sculp.

A conventional symbol of office, character, or identity, added to any particular figure; as, a club is the attribute of Hercules.

4. Gram.

Quality, etc., denoted by an attributive; an attributive adjunct or adjective.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.