The technology at the heart of all computers and coding. Not to mention most everything else. As soon as humankind learned to write, large amounts of data could be passed down from generation to generation more efficiently. Postmodernism has quite a bit to say about text, but frankly I don't give a shit.

The embodiment of thought into sounds distilled to symbols.
Thoughts are passing, sounds don't last, but text can be immortal.

TeX = T = thanks in advance

text n.

1. [techspeak] Executable code, esp. a `pure code' portion shared between multiple instances of a program running in a multitasking OS. Compare English. 2. Textual material in the mainstream sense; data in ordinary ASCII or EBCDIC representation (see flat-ASCII). "Those are text files; you can review them using the editor." These two contradictory senses confuse hackers, too.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk

vt. to send messages with mobile GSM cellphones using the Simple Messaging Service (SMS) protocol. Very very popular in the Philippines since 1998.

Program linkers, esp. on UN*X, use the term "text" (or "text segment") to refer to the portion of the executable containing the executable instructions (as opposed to data and bss, which contain data). On UN*X, text is read only initialized data.

Home to Document Object Model | Up to Core
Prev Comment | Next Document


Text
Object (inherits from Node and CharacterData).

This object represents the text within a section of markup (e.g. the text parts of the content of an Element) or the value of an Attribute.

Text nodes do not have child nodes.

splitText
Method
ECMAScript binding: splitText(offset) (returns Text; offset is a Number; can raise DOMException)

This node is split in two at offset. The text beyond this point forms the next sibling of this node in the tree. This node is truncated.

Returns the new node created (which will be a Text node or, in some later DOM, an extension of a Text node).

The exceptions thrown are:

INDEX_SIZE_ERR
offset is negative or exceeds this.length.
NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR
The node is read only.

Text (?), n. [F. texte, L. textus, texture, structure, context, fr. texere, textum, to weave, construct, compose; cf. Gr. carpenter, Skr. taksh to cut, carve, make. Cf. Context, Mantle, n., Pretext, Tissue, Toil a snare.]

1.

A discourse or composition on which a note or commentary is written; the original words of an author, in distinction from a paraphrase, annotation, or commentary.

Chaucer.

2. O. Eng.Law

The four Gospels, by way of distinction or eminence.

[R.]

3.

A verse or passage of Scripture, especially one chosen as the subject of a sermon, or in proof of a doctrine.

How oft, when Paul has served us with a text, Has Epictetus, Plato, Tully, preached! Cowper.

4.

Hence, anything chosen as the subject of an argument, literary composition, or the like; topic; theme.

5.

A style of writing in large characters; text-hand also, a kind of type used in printing; as, German text.

<-- 6. That part of a document (printed or electronic) comprising the words, especially the main body of expository words, in contrast to the illustrations, pictures, charts, tables, or other formatted material which contain graphic elements as a major component.

7. Any communication composed of words.

8. A textbook. -->

Text blindness. Physiol. See Word blindness, under Word. -- Text letter, a large or capital letter. [Obs.] -- Text pen, a kind of metallic pen used in engrossing, or in writing text-hand.

 

© Webster 1913.


Text, v. t.

To write in large characters, as in text hand.

[Obs.]

Beau. & Fl.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.