A cheap but decent lager produced by Yuengling Brewery, primarily available in the mid-Atlantic states of the US, though apparently also as far south as some parts of Florida, and at least as far north as New York. Pint reports that in NY it is considered a yuppie beer, which is quite at odds with the everyman image I generally associate with it. Beer snobs need not apply; while it's a far step above Budweiser or Coors, it's not exactly Blue Moon, or even Red Stripe. It is a nice beer for relaxing after work or having at a summer barbecue. Usually, if you just ask for "a Yuengling," you get the lager, rather than a black and tan or porter. It is light and quite easy to drink, nothing special in terms of alcohol content or flavor. Just a nice everyday beer.

It usually comes in 12 oz green bottles, but is also available sometimes in oddly shaped, squat 20 ounce brown bottles (these haven't been observed outside of Pennsylvania). It has been reported by a usually trustworthy source that they have also been seen in can form in Delaware. And in a new (2005/1/20) update, I saw Yuengling in cans in Philadelphia while I was up there last weekend.

In Philadelphia, one orders a Yuengling by simply asking for 'a pint of lager'; the bartender will know what you mean. This is not really much of a surprise, as the brewery is less than 100 miles north of Philadelphia, and is sort of the standard issue beer within the city, much as National Bohemian is in Baltimore. However, getting too used to asking for 'a lager' will cause confusion if you travel elsewhere, as nobody else knows this usage.

An additional Philadelphia oddity is that at least some places will ask you if you want some lemon squeezed in your pint of lager. The first time I was asked this (at the Queen Sheba, for those living up there), I had just helped a friend move into the city, and we were both sort of wondering if the bartender was just messing with a couple of kids who had wandered into a bad neighborhood, but apparently it is reasonably common. The taste of it on tap in Philadelphia is noticeably different, and better, from getting it in a bottle elsewhere, no doubt due to it not spending several months in a warehouse or store shelf. I would say that it seems more tart and acidic (in a good way) when fresh.

I am informed by wertperch that Hoegaarden (insert childish giggle about the name) is often served with a slice of lime (or orange or lemon, thanks for Byzantine and mkb for these additions). There is also the related concept of lager and lime, which is apparently a girly drink. But Pint says "it'll floor ya, trust me"; maybe it's worth a try after all. I am amazed that at 23, I am just now learning of this (apparently) delicious mix of beer and citrus.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.