The tiger (Panthera tigris) is the largest member of the cat family, even larger than the lion. They are able to knock down animals weighing more than twice what they do, and they can themselves weigh up to 800 pounds.

Tigers are famous for their orange (or more rarely, white) coats with black stripes, a camouflage pattern that helps them blend into tall grass or forests. They are solitary hunters who ambush their prey from about 30 feet away, leaping in to bite the throat or back of the neck. They like to swim, unlike many felines, and will chase prey into the water. Once they've killed, they will drag the carcass into seclusion to eat.

There were eight subspecies of tiger; three are now extinct, but the other five roam throughout much of Asia. Tigers in general are endangered because their habitat is being built over, especially in India, because they are hunted for their fur and their bones (which are ground into a supposed aphrodisiac) and because they will kill livestock and people if they have no other food. There may be only about 6,000 left in the wild.

British comic which ran from the early 50s to the mid 80s. Most of the stories in it were sports themed of which the most popular and long-running was Roy Of The Rovers.
Other strips included were Johnny Cougar who was a professional wrestler; Skid Solo about a formula one racing driver and Billy's Boots, which was the story of a schoolboy footballer who could only play well with the aid of a pair of old football boots that used to be owned by dead football legend Deadshot Keen.

Tiger is also the production name of a motorcycle made by Triumph Motor Company. The Triumph Tiger is designed to be the perfect mixture of a dirt bike and a sport bike.
It's sleek design makes it look like a sport bike, but you can tell by its rugged looks, hand guards, tires, and suspension, that it's ready for the backroads.

The Tiger hash function was invented by Eli Biham and Ross Anderson. It is significantly different in internal structure from most other hash functions in use (such as MD5 and SHA-1), making use of multiplications and substitution boxes rather than lots of interleaved additions and bit-logical operations, which is the method used by most other hash functions.

It produces a 192-bit output, and internally uses 64-bit integer arithmetic. The multiplications are done against constant values: 5, 7, and 9 (the DEC (see also Compaq) Alpha has special instructions for these multiplications, which was why those specific values were chosen). The mutiplications are used to spread out the bits; a single bit change in the input will affect many of the bits of the output (the term for this is high diffusion).

So far, there are no known attacks, but nobody is using it much either (in that sense it is pretty similiar to the HAVAL hash function). The only place it is being used in (to my knowledge) is in the IETF OpenPGP standard as an optional algorithm; GnuPG actually implements it.

It seems Biham and Anderson like using animal names for cryptographic primitives: they have worked on Tiger, Serpent (with Lars Knudsen), Lion, Bear, Lioness, and Chameleon.

Also a very specific type of servant in Regency era England; a tiger was a well-turned out groom suitable for public display.

Grooms were ubiquitous in days when all travel was done by horses and carriages, but a tiger was specifically a groom that rode on a small standing platform on the back of a small carriage such as a cabriolet or a curricle. Because of the small size of the carriage, a tiger was nearly always a boy or man of slight build, ideally under five foot tall. The tiger was highly visible, and as these carriages were used when the wealthy wanted to travel about town (which usually meant London), it was important that they were presentable.

"The tiger was a Lilliputian phenomenon, with apparently three tightly fitted natural skins: one of leather, bifurcated for his neithers: another of pepper and saltcloth for his coat: a third of jetty-black surmounted with brown streaks for top boots. Portions of his epidermis they must have been; for although, if artificial, he might have got them on, it was beyond the range of human possibility that he could ever get them off. Stay, an additional article must be mentioned in regard to his buckskin gloves. With shining livery buttons, with tight little belt around his tight little waist, and with a hat bound with silver cord, this domestic was surely the tightest tiger that ever was seen.
--All the year round: a weekly journal, Volume 11 By Charles Dickens, 1864

A wealthy peer might indulge himself (or indeed herself; a tiger was an acceptable chaperon for a lady of quality) in a matched pair of tigers. This was clearly a sign of great wealth, as a carriage pulled by two horses does not require two grooms. Sadly, it was not feasible to adorn your cabriolet with more than two tigers, both for reasons of weight and standing room. Tigers were not actually that important, as one can manage a jaunt out during the fashionable hour without someone to manage the horses; a tiger also has the disadvantage of occupying the same space as the folded top, so that the carriage must ridden 'half-struck'. This was socially acceptable, but not always desirable.

'Tiger' was first used in this sense in 1817, and continued to be used until carriages fell out of common usage. At times other outdoor servants in spiffy livery might be referred to as tigers, but this was uncommon.

Ti"ger (?), n. [OE. tigre, F. tigre, L. tigris, Gr. ti`gris; probably of Persian origin; cf. Zend tighra pointed, tighri an arrow, Per. tir; perhaps akin to E. stick, v.t.; -- probably so named from its quickness.]

1.

A very large and powerful carnivore (Felis tigris) native of Southern Asia and the East Indies. Its back and sides are tawny or rufous yellow, transversely striped with black, the tail is ringed with black, the throat and belly are nearly white. When full grown, it equals or exceeds the lion in size and strength. Called also royal tiger, and Bengal tiger.

2.

Fig.: A ferocious, bloodthirsty person.

As for heinous tiger, Tamora. Shak.

3.

A servant in livery, who rids with his master or mistress.

Dickens.

4.

A kind of growl or screech, after cheering; as, three cheers and a tiger.

[Colloq. U.S.]

5.

A pneumatic box or pan used in refining sugar.

American tiger. Zool. (a) The puma. (b) The jaguar. -- Clouded tiger Zool., a handsome striped and spotted carnivore (Felis macrocelis or F. marmorata) native of the East Indies and Southern Asia. Its body is about three and a half feet long, and its tail about three feet long. Its ground color is brownish gray, and the dark markings are irregular stripes, spots, and rings, but there are always two dark bands on the face, one extending back from the eye, and one from the angle of the mouth. Called also tortoise-shell tiger. -- Mexican tiger Zool., the jaguar. -- Tiger beetle Zool., any one of numerous species of active carnivorous beetles of the family Cicindelidae. They usually inhabit dry or sandy places, and fly rapidly. -- Tiger bittern. Zool. See Sun bittern, under Sun. -- Tiger cat Zool., any one of several species of wild cats of moderate size with dark transverse bars or stripes somewhat resembling those of the tiger. -- Tiger flower Bot., an iridaceous plant of the genus Tigridia (as T. conchiflora, T. grandiflora, etc.) having showy flowers, spotted or streaked somewhat like the skin of a tiger. -- Tiger grass Bot., a low East Indian fan palm (Chamaerops Ritchieana). It is used in many ways by the natives. J. Smith (Dict. Econ. Plants). -- Tiger lily. Bot. See under Lily. -- Tiger moth Zool., any one of numerous species of moths of the family Arctiadae which are striped or barred with black and white or with other conspicuous colors. The larvae are called woolly bears. -- Tiger shark Zool., a voracious shark (Galeocerdo maculatus or tigrinus) more or less barred or spotted with yellow. It is found in both the Atlantic and Indian Ocean. Called also zebra shark. -- Tiger shell Zool., a large and conspicuously spotted cowrie (Cypraea tigris); -- so called from its fancied resemblance to a tiger in color and markings. Called also tiger cowrie. -- Tiger wolf Zool., the spotted hyena (Hyaena crocuta). -- Tiger wood, the variegated heartwood of a tree (Machaerium Schomburgkii) found in Guiana.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.