My friend Paula invented these; they are amazing. Oreos gone gooey, with extra chocolate, in convenient brownie form. If you like those things, I believe you will like this thing:


Combine:

  • about 30 oreos, crushed to the fineness or coarseness of your liking. (a ladle or potato masher works well)

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (half a regular-sized bag)


Add:

  • 1 stick butter, melted

  • 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk

  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

  • 1 cup flaked coconut (optional) (i leave it out because in this context it seems gross.)


At this point you will understand the "sludge" in the title - what you are stirring is a thick blackish lumpy tar. Later it will go in your tummy!

Butter the hell out of an 8x8 square baking pan. A round cake pan would be fine too. Spread the tar fairly evenly - it will not move much during baking.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, except probably a bit less. When they're done, the top will get gray and ugly (NOT particularly golden brown). If you're uncertain as to doneness, take them out of the oven. Overbaking will result in hard, unchewable badness. Underbaking poses no health risk (no eggs) and will result in messier but still astoundingly nummy num-nums. The only reason to bake these at all is so the ingredients can jell together and form a brownie-like cohesion.

Cut with a plastic knife to avoid sticking.


Suggestions:

  • Since this only makes a small pan, you may be tempted to double the recipe. Make the small batch first - these are intense, and they go a long way.

  • Cut them small. I've seen the most devout chocoholics totally satisfied by a one-inch square of this.

  • These are excellent with vanilla ice cream - it balances the richness.

  • Don't try to make individual brownies in muffin tins. This is a great idea that does not work at all.


If you make these, and like them, please msg me your experiences, or just a general "so good i yelled and stomped my feet" and I will pass the word to Paula; she'd be delighted.

if we're all good i will be making these in ohio.

I have made these quite a few times and they are wonderful, but I have discovered a few useful things.

1. It works better if you can get mini-sized chocolate chips. They end up more evenly distributed than the regular sized ones.

2. If you like coconut, use it. If you don't use it, add a bit more flour. About 1/3 cup is good. The coconut makes them stickier, and if you exclude it without replacing it, they don't really stiffen in a good way.

3. This last one is only good if they are all going to be eaten in about 1-2 days. Use a high-walled (3/4" - 1") cookie sheet instead of the square pan. They come out thinner, which makes the portions more reasonable. When I tried this, everyone liked them more, but they got stale much more quickly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.