The following is an article by someone named Michael C. Ruppert of From The Wilderness Publications
(copyright info appears below). Although I don't make a habit of creating writeups by copying and pasting, I wouldn't like E2 to miss out on this very interesting and illuminating article from an obscure source. Read it in full! The timeline is really quite chilling.
I might also add, I really don't think the article should be instantly dismissed as nothing more than a crackpot conspiracy theory. I think it is at the very least legitimate to consider the motives of the US government and others following the attacks, and to wonder, were they really that bothered about preventing such an attack? There are some very good reasons why they might have wanted to start a war with the Taliban.
After the article appears my reply to Miles Dirac's criticisms.
Reprinted with permission, Michael C. Ruppert and From The Wilderness
Publications, www.copvcia.com, P.O. Box 6061-350, Sherman Oaks, CA, 91413.
818-788-8791. FTW is published monthly, annual subscriptions are $50 per
A Timeline Surrounding September 11th - If CIA and the Government Weren't Involved in the September 11 Attacks, What Were They Doing?
Bin Laden Met with the CIA in July and Walked Away
by Michael C. Ruppert
FTW, November 2, 2001 - 1200 PST (Revised, Nov 27, 2001) -- On October 31, the French daily Le Figaro dropped a bombshell. While in a Dubai hospital receiving treatment for a chronic kidney infection last July, Osama bin Laden met with a top CIA official - presumably the Chief of Station. The meeting, held in bin Laden's private suite, took place at the American hospital in Dubai at a time when he was a wanted fugitive for the bombings of two U.S. embassies and this year's attack on the U.S.S. Cole. Bin Laden was eligible for execution according to a 2000 intelligence finding issued by President Bill Clinton before leaving office in January. Yet on July 14th he was allowed to leave Dubai on a private jet and there were no Navy fighters waiting to force him down.
In 1985 Oliver North - the only member of the Reagan-Bush years who doesn’t appear to have a hand in the current war - sent the Navy and commandos after terrorists on the cruise ship Achille Lauro. In his 1991 autobiography "Under Fire" while describing terrorist Abu Abbas, North wrote, "I used to wonder: how many dead Americans will it take before we do something?" One could look at the number of Americans Osama bin Laden is alleged to have killed before September 11 and ask the same question.
It gets worse, much worse. A more complete timeline listing crucial events both before and after the September 11th suicide attacks, which have been blamed on bin Laden, establishes CIA foreknowledge of them and strongly suggests that there was criminal complicity on the part of the U.S. government in their execution. It also makes clear that the events which have taken place since September 11th are based upon an agenda that has little to do with the attacks.
One wonders how these events could have been ignored by the major media or treated as isolated incidents. Failing that, how could skilled news agencies avoid being outraged, or at least even just a little suspicious?
1998 and 2000 - Former President George H.W. Bush travels to Saudi Arabia on behalf of the privately owned Carlyle Group, the 11th largest defense contractor in the U.S. While there he meets privately with the Saudi royal family and the bin Laden family. (Source: Wall Street Journal, Sept. 27, 2001. See also FTW, Vol. IV, No 7 - "The Best Enemies Money Can Buy" - http://www.copvcia.com/members/carlyle.html)
- The Bush Administration orders the FBI and intelligence agencies to "back off" investigations involving the bin Laden family, including two of Osama bin Laden's relatives (Abdullah and Omar) who were living in Falls Church, VA - right next to CIA headquarters. This followed previous orders dating back to 1996, frustrating efforts to investigate the bin Laden family. (Source: BBC Newsnight, Correspondent Gregg Palast - Nov 7, 2001).
Feb 13, 2001
- UPI Terrorism Correspondent Richard Sale - while covering a trial of bin Laden's Al Q'aeda followers - reports that the National Security Agency has broken bin Laden's encrypted communications. Even if this indicates that bin Laden changed systems in February it does not mesh with the fact that the government insists that the attacks had been planned for years.
- Secretary of State Colin Powell gives $43 million in aid to the Taliban regime, purportedly to assist hungry farmers who are starving since the destruction of their opium crop in January on orders of the Taliban regime. (Source: The Los Angeles Times, May 22, 2001).
- Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage, a career covert operative and former Navy Seal, travels to India on a publicized tour while CIA Director George Tenet makes a quiet visit to Pakistan to meet with Pakistani leader General Pervez Musharraf. Armitage has long and deep Pakistani intelligence connections and he is the recipient of the highest civil decoration awarded by Pakistan. It would be reasonable to assume that while in Islamabad, Tenet, in what was described as "an unusually long meeting" also met with his Pakistani counterpart, Lt. General Mahmud Ahmad, head of the ISI. (Source The Indian SAPRA news agency, May 22, 2001.)
- German intelligence, the BND, warns the CIA and Israel that Middle Eastern terrorists are "planning to hijack commercial aircraft to use as weapons to attack important symbols of American and Israeli culture." (Source: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, September 14, 2001.)
- Three American officials: Tom Simmons (former U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan), Karl Inderfurth (former Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian affairs) and Lee Coldren (former State Department expert on South Asia), meet with Pakistani and Russian intelligence officers in Berlin and tell them that the U.S. is planning military strikes against Afghanistan in October. A French book released in November, "Bin Laden - La Veriteƒ¬ Interdite" discloses that Taliban representatives often sat in on the meetings. British papers confirm that the Pakistani ISI relayed the threats to the Taliban. (Source: The Guardian, September 22, 2001; the BBC, September 18, 2001.The Inter Press Service, Nov 16, 2001)
- According to a Sept. 26 story in Britain's The Guardian, correspondent David Leigh reported that, "U.S. department of defense official, Dr. Jeffrey Starr, visited Tajikistan in January. The Guardian's Felicity Lawrence established that US Rangers were also training special troops in Kyrgyzstan. There were unconfirmed reports that Tajik and Uzbek special troops were training in Alaska and Montana."
Summer 2001 (est.)
- Pakistani ISI Chief General Mahmud (see above) orders an aide to wire transfer $100,000 to Mohammed Atta, who was according to the FBI, the lead terrorist in the suicide hijackings. Mahmud recently resigned after the transfer was disclosed in India and confirmed by the FBI. (Source: The Times of India, October 11, 2001.)
- An Iranian man phones U.S. law enforcement to warn of an imminent attack on the World Trade Center in the week of September 9th. German police confirm the calls but state that the U.S. Secret Service would not reveal any further information. (Source: German news agency "online.de", September 14, 2001.)
- The FBI arrests an Islamic militant linked to bin Laden in Boston. French intelligence sources confirm that the man is a key member of bin Laden's network and the FBI learns that he has been taking flying lessons. At the time of his arrest the man is in possession of technical information on Boeing aircraft and flight manuals. (Source: Reuters, September 13.)
- Russian intelligence notifies the CIA that 25 terrorist pilots have been specifically training for suicide missions. This is reported in the Russian press and news stories are translated for FTW by a retired CIA officer.
July 4-14, 2001
- Osama bin Laden receives treatments for kidney disease at the American hospital in Dubai and meets with a CIA official who returns to CIA headquarters on July 15th. (Source: Le Figaro, October 31st, 2001.)
- Russian President Vladimir Putin orders Russian intelligence to warn the U.S. government "in the strongest possible terms" of imminent attacks on airports and government buildings. (Source: MSNBC interview with Putin, September 15.)
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average drops nearly 900 points in the three weeks prior to the attack. A major stock market crash is imminent.
Sept. 3-10, 2001
- MSNBC reports on September 16 that a caller to a Cayman Islands radio talk show gave several warnings of an imminent attack on the U.S. by bin Laden in the week prior to 9/11.
17. September 1-10, 2001
- In an exercise, Operation "Swift Sword" planned for four years, 23, 000 British troops are steaming toward Oman. Although the 9/11 attacks caused a hiccup in the deployment the massive operation was implemented as planned. At the same time two U.S. carrier battle groups arrive on station in the Gulf of Arabia just off the Pakistani coast. Also at the same time, some 17,000 U.S. troops join more than 23,000 NATO troops in Egypt for Operation "Bright Star." All of these forces are in place before the first plane hits the World Trade Center. (Sources: The Guardian, CNN, FOX, The Observer, International Law Professor Francis Boyle, the University of Illinois.)
September 6-7, 2001
- 4,744 put options (a speculation that the stock will go down) are purchased on United Airlines stock as opposed to only 396 call options (speculation that the stock will go up). This is a dramatic and abnormal increase in sales of put options. Many of the UAL puts are purchased through Deutschebank/AB Brown, a firm managed until 1998 by the current Executive Director of the CIA, A.B. "Buzzy" Krongard. (Source: The Herzliyya International Policy Institute for Counterterrorism, http://www.ict.org.il, September 21; The New York Times; The Wall Street Journal.)
September 10, 2001
- 4,516 put options are purchased on American Airlines as compared to 748 call options. (Source: ICT - above)
September 6-11, 2001
- No other airlines show any similar trading patterns to those experienced by UAL and American. The put option purchases on both airlines were 600% above normal. This at a time when Reuters (September 10) issues a business report stating, "Airline stocks may be poised to take off."
September 6-10, 2001
- Highly abnormal levels of put options are purchased in Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, AXA Re(insurance) which owns 25% of American Airlines, and Munich Re. All of these companies are directly impacted by the September 11 attacks. (Source: ICT, above; FTW, Vol. IV, No.7, October 18, 2001, http://www.copvcia.com/members/oct152001.html. )
It has been documented that the CIA, the Israeli Mossad and many other intelligence agencies monitor stock trading in real time using highly advanced programs reported to be descended from Promis software. This is to alert national intelligence services of just such kinds of attacks. Promis was reported, as recently as June, 2001 to be in Osama bin Laden's possession and, as a result of recent stories by FOX, both the FBI and the Justice Department have confirmed its use for U.S. intelligence gathering through at least this summer. This would confirm that CIA had additional advance warning of imminent attacks. (Sources: The Washington Times, June 15, 2001; FOX News, October 16, 2001; FTW, October 26, 2001, - http://www.copvcia.com/members/magic_carpet.html; FTW, Vol. IV, No.6, Sept. 18, 2001 - http://www.copvcia.com/members/sept1801.html; FTW, Vol. 3, No 7, 9/30/00 - www.copvcia.com/stories/may_2001/052401_promis.html
September 11, 2001
- Gen Mahmud of the ISI (see above), friend of Mohammed Atta, is visiting Washington on behalf of the Taliban. (Source: MSNBC, Oct. 7.)
September 11, 2001
For 35 minutes, from 8:15 AM until 9:05 AM, with it widely known within the FAA and the military that four planes have been simultaneously hijacked and taken off course, no one notifies the President of the United States. It is not until 9:30 that any Air Force planes are scrambled to intercept, but by then it is too late. This means that the National Command Authority waited for 75 minutes before scrambling aircraft, even though it was known that four simultaneous hijackings had occurred - an event that has never happened in history. (Sources: CNN, ABC, MSNBC, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times.)
September 13, 2001
- China is admitted to the World Trade Organization quickly, after 15 years of unsuccessful attempts. (Source: The New York Times, Sept. 30, 2001.)
September 15, 2001
- The New York Times reports that Mayo Shattuck III has resigned, effective immediately, as head of the Alex (A.B) Brown unit of Deutschebank.
September 29, 2001
- The San Francisco Chronicle reports that $2.5 million in put options on American Airlines and United Airlines are unclaimed. This is likely the result of the suspension in trading on the NYSE after the attacks which gave the Securities and Exchange Commission time to be waiting when the owners showed up to redeem their put options.
October 10, 2001
- The Pakistani newspaper The Frontier Post reports that U.S. Ambassador Wendy Chamberlain has paid a call on the Pakistani oil minister. A previously abandoned Unocal pipeline from Turkmenistan, across Afghanistan, to the Pakistani coast, for the purpose of selling oil and gas to China, is now back on the table "in view of recent geopolitical developments."
Mid October, 2001
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average, after having suffered a precipitous drop has recovered most of its pre-attack losses. Although still weak, and vulnerable to negative earnings reports, a crash has been averted by a massive infusion of government spending on defense programs, subsidies for "affected" industries and planned tax cuts for corporations.
Now, let's go back to the October 31 story by Le Figaro - the one that has Osama bin Laden meeting with a CIA officer in Dubai this June.
The story says that, "Throughout his stay in the hospital, Osama Bin Laden received visits from many family members (There goes the story that he's a black sheep!) and Saudi Arabian Emirate personalities of status. During this time the local representative of the CIA was seen by many people taking the elevator and going to bin Laden's room.
"Several days later the CIA officer bragged to his friends about having visited the Saudi millionaire. From authoritative sources, this CIA agent visited CIA headquarters on July 15th, the day after bin Laden's departure for Quetta
"According to various Arab diplomatic sources and French intelligence itself, precise information was communicated to the CIA concerning terrorist attacks aimed at American interests in the world, including its own territory."
"Extremely bothered, they (American intelligence officers in a meeting with French intelligence officers) requested from their French peers exact details about the Algerian activists (connected to bin Laden through Dubai banking institutions), without explaining the exact nature of their inquiry. When asked the question, "What do you fear in the coming days?" the Americans responded with incomprehensible silence."
On further investigation, the FBI discovered certain plans that had been put together between the CIA and its "Islamic friends" over the years. The meeting in Dubai is, so it would seem, consistent with "a certain American policy."
Even though Le Figaro reported that it had confirmed with hospital staff that bin Laden had been there as reported, stories printed on November 1 contained quotes from hospital staff that these reports were untrue. On November 1, as reported by the Ananova press agency, the CIA flatly denied that any meeting between any CIA personnel and Osama bin Laden at any time.
In the most ironic twist of all, FTW has learned that Le Figaro is owned by the Carlyle Group, the American defense contractor which employs George Bush Sr., and which had as investors - until they sold their stake on October 26 - the bin Laden family.
Who do you believe? In coming stories FTW will prove to you that this war, which according to Dick Cheney, may not end in our lifetimes, has been in the works for at least four years.
Here is my reply to the criticisms of the article that Miles Dirac makes below. I don't particularly endorse the article, I posted it because it gives us a lot to think about (it's certainly not a complete work of fiction). Having said that, I feel the need to defend it against some criticisms that I think missed the point or weren't quite fair.
Firstly, I would contest the fact the article is actually claiming the US government took part in what happened on 11th September. Apart from the suggestive title, Ruppert does not say he definitely thinks the CIA or anyone similar actually helped carry out the attacks - he just thinks it is suspicious. This ties in with my response to the point about coincidental correlation. Correlation does not indicate a causal connection between events, but it is fair enough that correlation between certain events should be grounds for suspicion. Miles Dirac talks about an 'inflamatory and unbased assertion' - inflamatory it certainly is, but I don't agree that it is either unbased or, indeed, a solid assertion.
Miles also argues that the "history behind the anger, who bought oil from whom, who gave arms to whom" is irrelevant, but then goes on to say that motive, opportunity, plausibility have to be considered - I think they entirely tie in with each other. Certainly, what Ruppert presents are the not much more than the 'loose bricks' Miles also spoke about, but that doesn't mean they should be so quickly dismissed. Remember: It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you ;)
A couple of other things to look at:
Operation Northwoods another possible example of the U.S. military apparently planning to deliberately attack American targets for political ends.
See http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1036571,00.html for an article by Michael Meacher, a former British cabinet minister under Tony Blair, who makes some serious allegations on the subject of the American government's response to the September 11th attacks.