The Eternal Word Television Network, a Catholic cable and satellite network (plus radio, with WEWN) based in Alabama (of all places), and run by a nun (of all things) named Mother Angelica. Defenders of a conservative, traditional brand of Catholicism. Many programs are, in effect, monologues, often quite entertaining and/or edifying - a great respite from the glitz and flash and empty hysteria of the rest of TV-land. The spoken Word trumps special effects with one hand tied...

I used to live in the neighborhood which bordered the EWTN monastery. Not that I'm Catholic. Eventually they started growing and began to buy up the houses directly adjacent to the monastery grounds. We started having to veer around the nuns as we rode our bikes around the neighborhood streets. But they were always polite to us. The brothers were usually pretty nice guys, too, they would buy chocolate from us grade schoolers during those silly fundraising drives.

Mother Angelica's satellite transmitting dish is enormous. Probably fifty feet in diameter. You can see it from quite a long way away. Compare this technology with the goats and sheep which lived on the grounds directly underneath it and you understand what a wierd place this is.

They are still expanding as far as I know. Coincidentally, Mother Angelica bought up mom's house too when we decided to move.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.