Confectionary items that are generally sold and marketed around Easter. They comprise of a thick (3mm+) milk chocolate shell containing a fondant creme yolk and albumen. Each egg is foil-wrapped (with a lovely 1970's-style design in red, yellow and blue printed on the foil) and sold individually or in boxes of six (like... eggs). Although extremely delicious, it is a well known fact that you can only eat about 6 creme eggs before puking. That shouldn't stop you from trying however.

In recent years Galaxy Caramel Eggs have appeared to try and challenge the Creme Eggs' supremacy.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs have been advertised in a number of memorable campaigns, in recent years usually involving on a variation of "How do you eat yours?", which previously starred (egg-headed) Matt Lucas, but now stars a bunch of comparatively unfunny no-name stock advertisment actors.

BlueDragon says they are actually sold all year round. Many people have told me this, but I am not sure it's true. I suppose it depends on your newsagent.

Furthermore, I have now been utterly inundated with /msgs on this topic. The general concensus of opinion is that the Eggs are primarily shipped out and displayed on counter-tops between January and June. White chocolate, peppermint, caramel, double chocolate and orange chocolate variants have been spotted, as well as packs with Cadbury's Fingers for dipping. Clone offers the shocking news that girls in York pubs are asking for pints and creme eggs (there is something very wrong about this). And that he "hates the bastard things", which is an opinion that he is sadly alone in holding.

New sightings 28/03/2002: Cadbury's Dream Egg; Rolo Cookie Egg; Milkybar Egg

During the 80s and/or early 90s, their most memorable ad campaign involved a white bunny clucking like a chicken, a clever crossover between the Easter Bunny and the origin of the eggs. In some of the ads, a variety of different-colored bunnies would appear with other flavors of the eggs - for example, the chocolate-filled ones had a darker-colored bunny sitting and 'laying' them.

An incredibly rich chocolate confection, sold only around Easter time, but available very cheaply immediately thereafter. It is a foil-wrapped chocolate ellipsoid which contains some sort of creme inside. Available in a few flavors (including chocolate creme and caramel), and distributed in the United States by Hershey's Foods.

Often sold individually, but also sold in variety packs of 12 to 18 eggs for the true chocoholic. Very hard to eat at first, as you must take care not to spill sticky creme all over yourself.

To clairfy the above writeups:

The name "creme" for the filling is a bit misleading. While it is "creamy" in the sense of being fluid, it is much thicker and more viscous than cream (going so far as to become solid if chilled sufficiently). It is also slightly grainy and hair-curlingly sugary.
In keeping with the egg metaphor, the creme layer of the egg is white on the outside and yellow in the centre.

Here's a map:
   ____
  / __ \
 / /  \ \
 | |yy| |
 | |yy| |
 \ \w_/ /
  \_c__/
c = chocolate
w = white sugary goo
y = yellow sugary goo

As for the mascot, I think they're just merging two popular Easter symbols: the Easter Bunny and the easter egg, which presumably comes from a chicken. Ironically, they are including elements from an even older tradition, in which Easter was a fertility festival (one instantiation is the old Celtic festival of Beltaine, now appropriated by the neopagans). The bunny was originally chosen as a symbol because of its famed fecundity, so having it lay the egg (also a fertility symbol) brings the celebration full circle, as it were.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.