In 1991 Nintendo released the third installment of the popular Zelda series, The Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Help me

Please help me

These words greeted the player when the game finally started. Quickly the game got back into the original Legend of Zelda's feel. After a completely different second game, A Link to the Past confirmed that the original Zelda had returned and it came back with power.

Where the first game needed work, A Link to the Past improved. Where the first game were needing, A Link to the Past added. Where the first games were perfect, A Link to the Past stayed true to the ideas.

To start with, A Link to the Past had a story. The story involves the Princess Zelda calling out to Link in the middle of the night, and Link's Uncle goes out quickly afterwards, of course Link follows when his uncle doesn't come back, and finds him hurt. Link's Uncle uttered the famous line, that has spread many a rumor.

Zelda is your .. .. .

When Zelda is saved, Link is sent on a quest to get the master sword to confront Agahnim. On your way you meet the great sage Sahasrahla, and a large world to explore. Of course some areas do seem hidden.

After Link finally receives the Master Sword (and has his first taste of the Dark World on Death Mountain) the Sage in the sanctuary calls Link to save Zelda. Link rushes to the castle and is too late and then must defeat Agahnim. Supposedly with the last of his power Agahnim sends you to the Dark World. Luckily you have a magic mirror that can send you back and forth between the worlds.

In the Dark World you must save the 7 maidens (including the ever lovely Zelda). After you receive all 7 maidens you attack Agahnim in the Tower of Ganon. And after killing him Ganon is resurrected.

That is the whole story in a nutshell, but there is a large amount of scenes and information, and of course many dungeons inbetween. There are some great quests, memorable characters, and completely excellent first in-game story for a Zelda game.

The game play is about the same as the original Legend of Zelda. There is an addition of many new items and the ability to have more mobility. You can finally move diagonally and jump down levels, climbing stairs and so on.

The dual worlds add a lot of character and areas to discover even though one had thought they found everything in the original map. While they look similar, the two worlds have completely separate areas.

The graphics of the games are a large improvement over the original games. The SNES graphics looked polished in Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. There is no longer any trace of sprites. All the monsters looked like creatures, and all of them have multiple motions unlike the original game. There is not another game for the Super NES that can really compare with the polished feel of the graphics.

The music and sound of A Link to the Past just finishes the game off perfectly, whether the clang of swords, stunned guards, or exploding bombs, A Link to the Past has the sounds for it. The music is also a perfectly composed score that fits the mood to the game, creating feelings of grandeur.

A Link to the Past just takes the original Legend of Zelda, and polishes it to a bright shine. A completely new game comes out of the game. Unlike many sequels, A Link to the Past outshines the original game, and is still considered the best of the series, and for the system. The whole game is polished and works perfectly together, contains a great replayability value that makes it still loved today.