Today was a most unusual day.

I went with some friends from the Dartmouth Outing Club to move the privy at Hinman Cabin, because it was getting full. Unfortunately, we were greeted by a blowdown in the road, which we had not the chainsaws to remove. All our chainsaws are broken. So we decided to sack up and carry our tools to the privy and move it. But when we got there, we noticed that the new hole had filled with water. This was a problem, as we had neither a bucket with which to remove the water nor the combination for the lock to the cabin, which did have some buckets inside.

So we did the easy thing and climbed through the windows. We got some buckets, and headed out to get all the water out of the hole and dig it deeper. Once we got all the water out, we ran into rocks at the bottom of the hole. No problem, we brought our rock bar with us. For those of you who don't know, a rock bar is like a jackhammer that you work by hand. That is, you pick it up as high over your head as possible and throw it directly down. This is quite a workout for the triceps. Anyway, we busted up enough of the rock that we could deepen the hole. All that was left was to nail some two-by-fours to the privy and pick it up and carry it to the new hole. But after we nailed the two-by-fours in, we realized that the privy was flimsy enough that it would fall apart if we tried to pick it up. So we gave up and went home. We'll give it another go next week.