A duct tape double is a budget tailor's dummy.
Sewing a closely fitted garment for yourself is really difficult. Stopping after every step to try the item on can be tedious. Seeing how the garment looks from the back is almost impossible without a hall of mirrors. A dummy, either store-bought or made from duct tape, solves this problem by giving a tailor a body double to fit the clothing on.
To make a duct tape double, you will need the following:
So here's what you do.
- Put the pajamas on.
- Get comfortable. Go to the bathroom, have a final stretch. You're going to be immobile very soon.
- Stand still.
Here's what your friend does.
- Tape around the openings to the pajamas: wrists, ankles and neck. The tape should be tight, but not constricting.
- Start wrapping the rest of the subject. You'll want to put at least three layers on, going in different directions (vertical, horizontal and diagonal). It is kindest to leave the arms to last, for balance.
- You now have a person wrapped in duct tape. Remember that they chose you because you're their friend, and proceed without any mischief.
- Mark cut lines on the duct tape. You want to cut along the back of each limb and up the back.
______| | |_______
|_____ | ______|
| | |
| | |
/ / \ \
/ / ^ \ \
/ / / \ \ \
/ / / \ \ \
- Add witness marks across the cut marks. These will prevent the dummy components from twisting when they're reassembled.
- Cut carefully along the cut marks. The scissors should go between the pajamas and your
victim's subject's skin. Depending on how stiff the duct tape is, you may have to make additional cuts; ensure you add witness marks for them.
- Peel the duct tape and pajamas off of the subject and help them into their other clothes.
Either, or both, of you can now finish the dummy.
- Tape up the cuts, aligning witness marks to prevent twisting. Use a couple of layers of tape so the dummy doesn't bulge at the seams.
- Start stuffing the dummy, limbs first. You'll want the stuffing fairly firm, but not so packed that you risk stretching the tape. Once each limb is full, tape over the end (at wrist and ankle). Stuff the torso and tape over the neck.
Congratulations, you now have a duct tape double.
Most difficult tailoring is centered on the torso. An abbreviated version of the duct tape double can be done on just the upper body and hips, using one roll of duct tape and 7 or 8 pounds of stuffing.
Pictures to illustrate the process can be found on numerous costuming websites, such as http://members.nbci.com/rsg0910/dtd.html and http://www.best.com/~nico/fursuit.cgi?dtd-demo.