"I'm a song from the sixties!"
Homsar is my favorite character on the Homestar Runner site. I've always had a special place in my heart for completely nonsensical yet strangely compelling and eminently quotable one-liners; his voice is quirky and difficult to replicate, unlike that of Homestar or Strong Bad; and while his non-sequiturs could grow tiresome quickly, he shows up infrequently enough that he doesn't wear out his welcome. He didn't appear at all in the first Characters section (he's in the new one... hallelujah!) and, as Millenium mentioned, frequently turns up only as a hidden secret of some kind. Here are some (but probably not all) of the places he can be found, separated by
<hr>s, because what would an h*r writeup be without an
<hr> tag or two?
Places you can find Homsar, like, without hardly trying:
- Toon, "Where's The Cheat?": Apparently once a week, Homsar plays Connect Four with the other Homestarrunner outcast.
- "What is it, Strong Bad?" Strong Bad Email 2, "homsar": Homsar is introduced in this toon, due to a misspelling of "Homestar" in one of Strong Bad's emails. Who would have thought that such brilliance could spring forth from such a travesty?
- Strong Bad Email 46, "your friends": ANDREW suggests that Strong Bad HARM HIS FRIENDS, and apparently Homsar counts. He accepts his ordeal gracefully.
- Strong Bad Email 62, "interview": Kerrek from PA requests that Strong Bad interview Homsar, and Strong Bad complies in a hypothetical manner, using Post-It Notes attached to the tops of pens.
- Strong Bad Email 82, "impression": Homsar enters himself in a Strong Sad impression contest.
- Strong Bad Email 93, "army": Homsar dispenses some timeless words of advice to the Homestarmy and charges into battle!
- Strong Bad Email 99, "different town": Homsar takes on a new form in Strong Bad's vision of a better town.
- Strong Bad Email 104, "theme park": Homsar suits up as General Tsao's Chicken for Strong Bad's Mount Ridesplace USA ("More rides than you or your grandmother can handle!")
- Strong Bad Email 105, "replacement": Homsar enters a dance contest to vie for the position of Strong Bad's successor as Email Answerer.
- Strong Bad Email 110, "for kids": Homsar takes center stage in the hit kids' show "Whaddya know, Haddi-Man?"
- Homsar has also left a couple messages on Marzipan's answering machine.
Places you can find Homsar, but you have to click something, or something (spoilers ahead):
- "Oh no! I think this is my favorite!" Holiday Toon, "The House That Gave Sucky Treats": When the Poopsmith (dressed as "Lazer Tag") and Pom-Pom (as Michael Moore, natch) show up at your door, drag the pumpkin that mysteriously appears to the Poopsmith's mouth. An homage to The Legend Of Zelda's "You have found a secret!" sound will play, and the next person to appear at the door will be Homsar. If you don't want to go back and do this two more times, choose the middle treat. The quotes you get for the other two are available elsewhere (see the last item).
- Holiday Toon, "Pumpkin Carve-nival": When it's the Poopsmith's turn to have his pumpkin judged, click on his, um, deflated pumpkin. Homsar will show up with his entry next.
- Holiday Toon, "3 Times Halloween Funjob!": When Homestar is in Marzipan's house discussing his haul with Bubs, click on the Poopsmith's face and Homsar will shortly make a random appearance. The significance of this is open to interpretation.
- Holiday Toon, "Halloween Potion-ma-jig": When Homestar encounters the King of Town and Poopsmith digging in the woods, click Poopsmith's head after Homestar receives his powdered item to trigger Homsar's appearance ("Oh no, not the secret guy!") in the next scene.
- Strong Bad Email 58, "dragon": When Strong Mad is showing off his art, click on the "R" he has inscribed in the table, and Homsar will be the next person whose art Strong Bad critiques.
- Strong Bad Email 62, "interview": Click on Strong Bad's Post-It notes to cycle between different pictures of both Strong Bad and Homsar. Additionally, at the end of the cartoon, you can click on the Post-Its as they lie on the table to go to a home page with Homsar (instead of Homestar) as your host. You can also reach this page by clicking on the "3" in the "Copyright 2000-2003" in any of the standard home pages.
- Strong Bad Email 77, "suntan": When Strong Bad holds out his hostage (Strong Sad's lobster), click on the tag attached to it proudly proclaiming "G." Homsar tells you just how six-pack-like his cloits and dloits have gotten, just in time.
- "Don't look now, I'm just a friendly reminder!" Character List: Click the Eject button on the VCR to get the Homsar tape. Homsar gone wild! When Homsar Attacks!
- "I'm saving the best for last!" Downloads Menu: Click on "Balance Inquiry," and then on "0.00." Click the upper left hand corner of the credit card to obtain the PIN and a promotional message about the credit card company. Finally, drag the card to the slot and enter the PIN to get a nice set of ready-to-order Homsar quotes. And by "order" I mean "download." Enjoy.
Feel free to /msg me with additional Homsar sightings. Thanks to althorrat and generic-man for keeping me on my toes. althorrat was responsible for calling to my attention the secret in sbemail 77, which warrants the highest praise. Further, AndyAnime awakened me from my dreamless, regenerative slumber to call to my attention the appearances in sbemails 104, 105 and 110. For this he shall receive a crown of plutonium when I subjugate all people of Earth to my will.