• When you light a match, the head flares up. It then dies down, and the wood stick catches. The flame then spreads down the stick, making the little fire longer and hotter. The fire's weakest time when the head has died down, but not much of the shaft is burning yet. The match should pass your lips around this point, which means it's still flaring impressively when you flourish it just before that.
  • Take a deep breath, hold it a bit until it's stale and low in oxygen. As you bring the match up, exhale a bit so your mouth is full of low-oxygen air. The slight draft doesn't hurt either.
  • Don't touch the burning matchhead with any part of your mouth. Get your tounge out of the way and keep the match low.
  • Close your mouth, airtight. Do not breath through your nose. Close your throat. The match will run out of oxygen in a few seconds.
  • Don't panic if the roof of your mouth gets hot. This means you didn't do it just right, but all is not lost. The match runs out of air very soon, and your mouth will only be tender for a day. Keep a straight face.
  • Keep your mouth closed for five seconds or so even though the match may go out faster than that. Build suspense.
  • You don't need a good fire to make smoke - in fact, fires that are not buring well make the most smoke. Open your mouth and exhale a mouthful of white fumes.
  • Don't do the trick too often, it can't be good for you.