War on terrorism
September 11, 2001 was, without doubt, one of the most significant days in
2001. Three planes were used as missiles against the WTC and the Pentagon
by a rogue force (i.e terrorists).
USA's president, George W. Bush said right away that he was going to find
"those folks" who did this to his country. The word "war"
was used from an early stage.
Here is how it all happened:
- 11 September 2001
- A plane crashes into the World Trade Center. People start wondering
what kind of an accident this was. 18 minutes later another plane crashes
into the other tower of the WTC. If there ever was any doubt, this removed
it - The crashes were acts of violence, not accidents.
- The two towers collapse. Initial fears of 50 000 deaths are reduced
to 20 000 (10 000 per tower) and later to 10 000. The final death toll
is 6,729 people.
- A third plane crashes into the Pentagon, killing about 300 people
- 200 fire / emergency personnel died during and after the accidents.
- It is quickly established that the whole thing is an act of terrorism
- Yasser Arafat condemns the terrorist attacks, along with most other
- Major sites on the the Internet (such as CNN and BBC etc) crawls to a near stand-still because of the massive thirst
- 12 September 2001
- Arabs and people with middle eastern facial features are attacked
on the streets in the USA.
- USA re-opens their airspace, but tightens security, and has a
lot of fighter planes on the wings.
- NATO accepts the use of "Article 5", which means that the
attacks are seen as attacks on all NATO countries.
- Fear of copycats copying the terrorist acts spreads. Security experts
feel this is more likely than the same people who were responsible for
the Sep. 11 attacks to re-execute the same type of attacks.
- Another building in the WTC complex collapses. The 50 floor building
was fully evacuated and burning fiercely.
- the serbian nation state officially says they don't denounce the
terrorist acts, although they feel sorry for the civilian lives that
- 13 September 2001
- 14 September 2001
- 15 September 2001
- 16 September 2001
- 17 September 2001
- 18 September 2001
- 19 September 2001
- 21 September 2001
- 22 September 2001
- More than 5000 members of US and UK forces are being moved to the
- 23 September 2001
- a division of the UK special forces SAS is moving into Afghanistan
- Pakistan still refuses to have UK and US forces in their country.
- In a poll done for CNN, 90% of the 1000 people asked believe that
George W. Bush is doing a good job following the September 11 incidents.
- 24 September 2001
- 25 September 2001
- 27 September 2001
- 28 September 2001
- Osama Bin Laden claims he didn't know about the terrorist attacks -
and that he definitely had nothing to do with them.
- 30 September 2001
- 7 October 2001
- 2 October 2001
- 3 October 2001
- Web sites all over the USA pull sensitive information that might help
terrorists off the net (if the assumption that the terror acts have been
planned for several years is correct, this act seems like much of a joke..
But oh well. It might help in the future)
- 10 October 2001
- the anthrax spores that have been sent all over the USA seem to be
originating from an experiment in Iowa back in the 50's
- the FBI claims that there are no credible threats to drinking water
reservoirs in the USA
- 13 October 2001
- 14 October 2001
- 19 October 2001
- A handful US special troops are sent into Afghanistan, most likely to
prepare for a larger ground-invasion.
- 22 October 2001
- 23 October 2001
- USA realize they can't win the war quickly, and are preparing for winter
missions / bombing. Apparantly, Navy SEALs have been sent on extra winter
training in Norway
- 25 October 2001
- 26 October 2001
- 31 October 2001
- 3 November 2001
6 November 2001
- USA starts using cluster bombs against Afghanistan, a much disputed
decision due to the nature of these types of bombs.
- 9 November 2001
- Bush claims that the campaign in Afghanistan is about waging a war about
"saving civilization itself"
- 32,000 people have been given antibiotics to protect them from Anthrax
- 12 November 2001
- 13 November 2001
- 18 November 2001
- CNN says that the Taliban is trapped in a small area in the south of
- Reports of mass Taliban suicides in several cities
- 20 November 2001
yes, this thing is badly under need of an upgrade. I am working on it. (february, 2003)