Politics Terror Born:
  • Toshinomiya Aiko, heir to the Imperial throne of Japan
Died:

Recession sunk in in the United States and abroad, as the irrational exuberance of the 1990's, coupled with the destruction of the World Trade Center and the damaging of the American psyche, finally caught up with the markets. But Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Barry Bonds reaffirmed themselves as sporting legends, while America got a new import superhero in the form of Ichiro Suzuki. Lance Armstrong rode. It was a great year for American sports, even if people were losing money left and right.

Ford and Firestone got into safety troubles, which didn't seem that major since everyone would soon be riding a Segway anyhow. The big tech toys of the year were the Xbox and iPod. While we're on the subject, Hewlett Packard and Compaq had a nice, gruesome merger.

Pearl Harbor, Ocean's Eleven, Vanilla Sky, Bridget Jones's Diary, and Shrek ruled the box office: poetically enough, 2001 was also the year of Apocalypse Now Redux, but everyone forgot about these movies when Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings hit the silver screen. Nickelback, Linkin Park, and Creed led a rock revival in America, but The Beatles had the year's best-selling album, and Britney Spears showed no signs of becoming a has-been.

Sadly, there was no space odyssey, unless you count the ISS.

2000 < 2001 > 2002

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.