I am unbelievably lazy. Seriously, I cannot believe how lazy I am, in retrospect. I come back to the Noding Room and my chair is gone, I kneel on the hard floor and go right on typing. My book is on the floor a few feet away. I reach for it. No good. I leave it. My bed is covered with stuff. I sleep on the floor. I swallow my gum. I can't find a pen, so I scratch notes into the paper with a pen cap.

But I peel my potatoes before mashing. I shower almost twice a day. Rather than put the stupid modprobe commands in my init files, I retype them every single time I reboot. Every time I go out, I have to do seventeen things first to get ready.

Today found me sleeping until 2 in the afternoon, then attending to my various Christmas projects with something less than enthusiasm. I felt guilty getting goosebumps from listening to my own voice on cassette tape from three years ago (has it been that long?) -- man, I sing good. I'm surrounded by a pile of junk so big it's not worth cleaning up, I have only twelve short hours to finish a ton of stuff before heading back to my hometown for the weekend, and E2 picked today to recapture me. I'm so broke I shouldn't have to buy people Christmas presents, but it doesn't work that way. I thought we were getting robbed this afternoon, but it turned out to be my roommate's ex-roommate busting in and making himself thoroughly at home. This evening found me, my roommate, the ex-roommate, and the ex-roommate's date sitting around the table with a pizza and some sketchy cookies. Social distortion ensued. Jeeves scored 2 humor points, but accrued -30 in penalties for stupid statements. Three guys and a chatty girl is cozy. The other way around makes me nervous. I'm not sure why that is.

I feel like writing a letter to everyone I know, clearing up all the misunderstandings. It seems like it happens to me so often. Someone will say something, I'll miss part of it, I'll nod and smile, and it's the wrong thing to do. The ex-roommate heard that I was a member of a certain choir. I nod and smile. He jests, so you carry the group? I have no idea what he's talking about. I nod and smile. My roommate gives me a look. All at once I see what I've done, I try to jump in and apologize, but it's too late; they're already joking about how egotistical I am. I didn't mean that. I swear.

Worse, I'll say something I don't mean or use the wrong phrase or something with someone important. This severely haunts me, but it's hard to correct. What if the other person didn't hear you, or didn't care, or wasn't listening, or doesn't remember it anymore? Is it worth bringing it up again? Or will they just think I'm an idiot? Once my father caught me in bed with the (ex-)lead singer of our band. We didn't actually do the deed, we just cuddled and fooled around a little bit. In the morning, he lectured me on sexual responsibility. I replied 'yeah, I've been in bed with x girls, and I didn't knock any of them up'. I thought 'to knock up' meant 'to have sex with'. I later found out it means 'to get someone pregnant'. That situation was so embarassing that I don't want to bring it up ever again, but do I care if he thinks I sleep around? Yes and no. I've never done it, not once. And so he probably thinks my wonderful, wonderful sweetheart of two years is a whore.

The older I get, the dumber I was...