A bottle of Guinness was split on the floor
When the pub was shut for the night
Out crept a mouse from his little hole
And sat in the pale moonlight

He lapped at the frothy brew
Then back on his haunches he sat
And all night you could hear him roar
"Bring on the fucking cat!

read in one of those horrible Irish-themed chain pubs, but none the less it has stuck with me


Some Interesting facts about Guinness
  • Drinking a pint of Guinness is roughly as nourishing as eating a loaf of bread.
  • A drink that people have recommended to me (which I haven't tried, being a Guinness purist) is a fifty-fifty mixture of Guinness and Coca-Cola
  • "Dublin makes five or six principal versions of Guinness, in a total of 19 variations, and exports around 40 percent of its output. (Taken from the book; 'Michael Jacksons' Beer Companion)
  • The Guinness you buy in bottles is different to the Guinness in cans and on tap. The Guinness in the bottle has live yeast in it, and in America is called 'Guinness Extra Stout'. The cans and draught are simply 'Guinness'.
  • The floating ball in cans of Guinness provides the bubbles when poured. Guinness refer to this as a 'Floating Draught System', but it (and other beer cans which contain it) is usually called a 'widget'
  • You might like to try an Irish Car Bomb if you think you can handle it: A shot of Jameson or similar whiskey, a touch of Baileys on top, dropped in a whole Guinness and taken as a shot before the cream curdles. Not for the unseasoned drinker.

If you're in Melbourne, Australia, the best place to go for Guinness is the Cornish Arms, on Sydney Rd, or the Rob Roy, both located in Brunswick. The Empress Hotel in North Fitzroy, The Tote in Collingwood, the Espy in St. Kilda and the Charles Dickens Tavern in the CBD don't serve a bad drop either.