Beat slang - to leave, to depart, the equivalent of good-by or au revoir. Synonyms; to cut out, later.

A dis-synchronization of a network caused by failure of communication server-to-server. The result is a "forked" network with clients failing to interact with other clients on the server to which their server's link has been broken.

People who use IRC or, say, battle.net know this well.

A coastal city in the Dalmatian region of Croatia. It's ancient name was Aspalatos. It was the home and the retirement place of the Roman Emperor Diocletian. Well known for hot chicks and cool sightings, full of people wearing Italian clothes and discos, where if you have any skills whatsoever are guaranteed to pick up some beautiful girl.

Also, the city is full of drugs, thanks to being on an exposing route of the international drug chain. As such, it is also one of the "favorites" for Interpol, DEA and other lovely organizations.
Split is a large port and also a main dock for any NATO ships/carriers/submarines that happen to be in the Adriatic Sea.
split is a useful command in the programming language Perl.

split /pattern/, string

The command separates string into a list of strings originally seperated by pattern. The pattern follows normal regular expression rules. The default arguments are respectively whitespace and $_ (default string).

Example:

1 while (< >) {
2  @line = split;
3
.
.
.
n }
In this example, the while statement loops through standard input line by line, and line 2 stores the line as a list of words. Obviously a useful construct for text file manipulation, for example.

Doing the splits might seem quite a daunting feat, especially if you're a guy who can't even bend over to touch your toes. But there are a few easy stretches you can do that should eventually get you to the point of being able to do a split without any pain.

Preparatory stretching

  1. Stand with your feet shoulder width. Just bend over forward and reach for your toes. Don't strain, just relax and let your torso bounce a bit. Do this to the center, right and left. This should be a good stretch for most of the backs of your legs.
  2. Spread your legs apart so that they form a triangle with the floor. Keeping your back and legs straight, turn your upper body to the right and lean forward over your right leg. Your right foot should point straight forward and your left foot should be perpendicular to your right foot. Repeat on the left leg.
  3. Keeping your legs spread at that same distance, face towards the right and lean on your right knee, letting both legs bend and letting your left heel come off the floor. Keep your upper body straight for the best stretch. You should feel this in the top front muscles in your left leg (if you can't do a split yet, you probably don't know what that muscle is called either...).
  4. With your legs at the same distance again, let your right leg bend and keep your left leg straight and lower yourself to the floor. Try to keep your right foot entirely on the floor. If you can't do this without your heel coming off the floor, you should open your thighs more, trying to push your right knee back behind you. This should stretch your left leg and the inside of your right thigh.
All of these stretches should be effortless and painless. Just relax in all of them and let gravity do the work for you, and after a few weeks your legs should be flexible enough to begin attempting a split.

Attempting a split

Spread your now-more-flexible legs as far apart to the side as you can. At this point you should be flexible enough to reach the floor with your hands so that all of your weight isn't on your legs. Now slowly use your hands to walk yourself back into a sitting position, trying to keep your pelvis as far forward as you can while still managing to sit. Now you can lean forward or to the sides to stretch yourself. Again, relax into the stretch, don't make it hurt.

There. Now just keep at it, and you have a lovely conversation starter.

In bowling, a spilt is a situation in which most of the pins have been knocked down, and those remaining standing are separated by one or more empty spaces. Spits most often occur when the bowler has thrown the ball too fast, or without enough hook.

Splits are by far the most difficult spares to convert. For those where one of the pins is positioned far forward of the other (for example, a 3-10 or a 2-7) the best strategy is to aim between the two. When the pins are closer to parallel, the spare becomes harder to make, and the best bet is to hit the forward pin on its side and hope it slides into the other.

Splits in which the pins are parallel are nearly (though not entirely!) impossible to convert into spares. The worst is the notorious 7-10 split, in which the two rear corner pins (look here for a diagram) remain, separated by two empty pin-spaces. An outside approach is difficult because of the gutter to the outside of each of these pins. I've never even seen one converted successfully in regular tenpin bowling, but I've done so myself in duckpins, where the much lighter pins can be made to fly crosswards more easily.

Split (split), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Split (Splitted, R.); p. pr. & vb. n. Splitting.] [Probably of Scand. or Low german origin; cf. Dan. splitte, LG. splitten, OD. splitten, spletten, D. splijten, G. spleissen, MHG. splIzen. Cf. Splice, Splint, Splinter.]

1.

To divide lengthwise; to separate from end to end, esp. by force; to divide in the direction of the grain layers; to rive; to cleave; as, to split a piece of timber or a board; to split a gem; to split a sheepskin.

Cold winter split the rocks in twain.
Dryden.

2.

To burst; to rupture; to rend; to tear asunder.

A huge vessel of exceeding hard marble split asunder by congealed water.
Boyle.

3.

To divide or break up into parts or divisions, as by discord; to separate into parts or parties, as a political party; to disunite. [Colloq.] South.

4. (Chem.)

To divide or separate into components; -- often used with up; as, to split up sugar into alcohol and carbonic acid.

To split hairs, to make distinctions of useless nicety.

 

© Webster 1913


Split, v. i.

1.

To part asunder; to be rent; to burst; as, vessels split by the freezing of water in them.

2.

To be broken; to be dashed to pieces.

The ship splits on the rock.
Shak.

3.

To separate into parties or factions. [Colloq.]

4.

To burst with laughter. [Colloq.]

Each had a gravity would make you split.
Pope.

5.

To divulge a secret; to betray confidence; to peach. [Slang] Thackeray.

6. (Blackjack)

to divide one hand of blackjack into two hands, allowed when the first two cards dealt to a player have the same value.

To split on a rock, to err fatally; to have the hopes and designs frustrated.

 

© Webster 1913


Split, n.

A crack, or longitudinal fissure.

2.

A breach or separation, as in a political party; a division. [Colloq.]

3.

A piece that is split off, or made thin, by splitting; a splinter; a fragment.

4.

Specif (Leather Manuf.), one of the sections of a skin made by dividing it into two or more thicknesses.

5. (Faro)

A division of a stake happening when two cards of the kind on which the stake is laid are dealt in the same turn.

6. (Finance)

the substitution of more than one share of a corporation's stock for one share. The market price of the stock usually drops in proportion to the increase in outstanding shares of stock. The split may be in any ratio, as a two-for-one split; a three-for-two split.

7. (Blackjack)

the division by a player of one hand of blackjack into two hands, allowed when the first two cards dealt to a player have the same value; the player is usually obliged to increase the amount wagered by placing a sum equal to the original bet on the new hand thus created.

 

© Webster 1913


Split, a.

1.

Divided; cleft.

2. (Bot.)

Divided deeply; cleft.

Split pease, hulled pease split for making soup, etc. --
Split pin (Mach.), a pin with one end split so that it may be spread open to secure it in its place. --
Split pulley, a parting pulley. See under Pulley. --
Split ring, a ring with overlapped or interlocked ends which may be sprung apart so that objects, as keys, may be strung upon the ring or removed from it. --
Split ticket, a ballot containing the names of only a portion of the candidates regularly nominated by one party, other names being substituted for those omitted. [U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Split, n.

1.

(a) (Basketwork)

Any of the three or four strips into which osiers are commonly cleft for certain kinds of work; -- usually in pl.

(b) (Weaving)

Any of the dents of a reed.

(c)

Any of the air currents in a mine formed by dividing a larger current.

2.

Short for Split shot or stroke.

3. (Gymnastics)

The feat of going down to the floor so that the legs extend in a straight line, either with one on each side or with one in front and the other behind. [Cant or Slang]

4.

A small bottle (containing about half a pint) of some drink; -- so called as containing half the quantity of the customary smaller commercial size of bottle; also, a drink of half the usual quantity; a half glass. [Cant or Slang]

 

© Webster 1913


Split, a. (Exchanges)

(a)

Divided so as to be done or executed part at one time or price and part at another time or price; -- said of an order, sale, etc.

(b)

Of quotations, given in sixteenth, quotations in eighths being regular; as, 10&frac3x16; is a split quotation.

(c) (London Stock Exchange)

Designating ordinary stock that has been divided into preferred ordinary and deferred ordinary.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.