SWEDISH FISH:Chewy, gooey, oh soooooo delicious candy shaped like fish, complete with relief of scales, gills and eyes.
I was introduced to this candy at Wilks Super Food Mart. Wally, the proprietor of WILKS, had about one hundred jars of penny candy on the counter of his er... "grocery store", (only sold groceries because, by law, if you sell alcohol, you have to sell food products) which is where my parents bought their beer on Friday night. In one of these penny candy jars were Swedish Fish. As a treat, I would get to spend whatever change was left over from the purchase of the twelve pack (approx. fifty cents). Usually, I would allocate ten cents for the (10) fish.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Swedish fish typically come in four colors: NOTE: I have also seen purple (grape) fish. But never blue.
Swedish fish become transparent when their outer relief is sucked off.
Inflation over the past fifteen years has eliminated candy which only costs a penny. ooops, except Ford gum balls in hardware stores.
To expand on what XCthulhu said: In fact, the Swedish Fish IS indeed Swedish fish. The "Swedish Fish" was first produced by a Swedish candy company, Malaco. It was then shamelessly copied by Canadian confectionery corporation Trebor Allan.

The "Malaco" Swedish Fish is different from the big bad Canadian ones in some minor aspects:

1. They've got "Malaco" written on them, not "Swedish".
2. They've got a slightly different taste. This point is hard to verify - I ate a lot of Swedish Fish when I was at the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean a while ago, and I've eaten a lot here at home in Sweden, but I never tried both side by side. The Canadian ones feel sweeter, though.
3. They have a different consistency. The Canadian ones are harder and chewier.
4. They won't go transparent if you suck off the outer relief, they're colorful to the core.
5. There are no purple fish in Sweden.

The Original Swedish Fish, is a soft & chewy candy. Despite what some may believe, Swedish Fish in fact do have the word "Swedish" written on the candy, not the word "Malaco," the company that licenses the treat.

Ingredients:Sugar, Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Mineral Oil, Carnauba Wax, Colored with FD&C Red #40, Yellow #5, Yellow #6, and Blue #1.


Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 7 pieces (42 g)
Servings Per Container 2.5

Amount Per Serving
Calories 150  Calories from fat 5
                  % Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g                 1%
Sodium 25 mg                  1%
Total Carbohydrate 36 g      12%
  Sugars 28 g                
Protien 0 g                   0%

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based
on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.