Merit is an experimental new E2 statistic which appears in the Statistics Nodelet. It measures the Interquartile Mean Reputation of your nodes. This means that it is worked out by:

  • Arranging your nodes in order of reputation.
  • Discarding the top 25% and the bottom 25%.
  • Calculating the arithmetic mean reputation of this middle 50% of your nodes.

Your devotion is equal to your merit multiplied by your number of writeups. Developed by Professor Pi, it has been proposed that those noders with a merit higher than 6 will be rewarded by requiring fewer writeups to level up. No stigma will be attached to those with merit less than 6.

Please see Honor Roll where the system is explained in much greater detail by its originator, Professor Pi.


Update 15/10/02: Devotion is no longer going to be used as the method by which noders can level up under the Honor Roll system. Although though at present the devotion values which were stated on Honor Roll as being the requirements for each level do approximate the normal distribution which is now being used instead, this will change over time as the mean merit of Level 2 noders shifts upwards.

Mer"it (?), n. [F. m'erite, L. meritum, fr. merere, mereri, to deserve, merit; prob. originally, to get a share; akin to Gr. part, fate, doom, to receive as one's portion. Cf. Market, Merchant, Mercer, Mercy.]

1.

The quality or state of deserving well or ill; desert.

Here may men see how sin hath his merit. Chaucer.

Be it known, that we, the greatest, are misthought For things that others do; and when we fall, We answer other's merits in our name. Shak.

2.

Esp. in a good sense: The quality or state of deserving well; worth; excellence.

Reputation is ... oft got without merit, and lost without deserving. Shak.

To him the wit of Greece and Rome was known, And every author's merit, but his own. Pope.

3.

Reward deserved; any mark or token of excellence or approbation; as, his teacher gave him ten merits.

Those laurel groves, the merits of thy youth. Prior.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mer"it, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Merited; p. pr. & vb. n. Meriting.] [F. m'eriter, L. meritare, v. intens. fr. merere. See Merit, n.]

1.

To earn by service or performance; to have a right to claim as reward; to deserve; sometimes, to deserve in a bad sense; as, to merit punishment.

"This kindness merits thanks."

Shak.

2.

To reward.

[R. & Obs.]

Chapman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mer"it, v. i.

To acquire desert; to gain value; to receive benefit; to profit.

[Obs.]

Beau. & Fl.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.