Devotion is a new, experimental E2 statistic that is worked out by multiplying your merit by your number of write-ups. It was invented by Professor Pi after his analysis of E2 data, and may be used in future to calculate level ups instead of the current system which fails to prevent noding for numbers yet also stifles many creative noders by stopping them from leveling up quickly.

For noders on the Honor Roll (those with merit higher than 6), devotion is the condition for leveling up, but otherwise the normal voting/experience system qualifications apply.

Please see Honor Roll where the system is explained by Professor Pi in much more detail.


Update 15/10/02: Devotion is no longer going to be used as the method by which noders can level up under the Honor Roll system. Although at present the devotion values which were stated on Honor Roll as being the requirements for each level do approximate the normal distribution which is now being used instead, this will change over time as the mean merit of Level 2 noders shifts upwards.

Editor Note: 10 May '12 Whilst devotion is not a vital statistic these days, it is used as a method of sorting Everything's Best Users.

at universe’s door
behind is one balloon
convinced and following
abandoning the sun
now finally faces
the mystery of black

the myth of true black
a window not a door
the billion blue faces
of one blue balloon
floating to the sun
forever forced to following

the sun is not following
questions of the black
for why would the sun
ask questions of the door
who would take the sun’s balloon
from its garish yellow faces

its blind and binding faces
fire sinks to grey following
betrayal of balloon
the exodus to black
when balloon opens the door
behind he finds the sun

blushing black sun
billion melted faces
one face behind the door
one balloon was following
the solar flares are black
beckon one balloon

static non-balloon
in the zenith of the sun
breathing in the black
its back against the faces
the black will soon be following
to close the only door

one black balloon faces
one black sun following
one black door


February, 2014

De*vo"tion (?), n. [F. d'evotion, L. devotio.]

1.

The act of devoting; consecration.

2.

The state of being devoted; addiction; eager inclination; strong attachment love or affection; zeal; especially, feelings toward God appropriately expressed by acts of worship; devoutness.

Genius animated by a fervent spirit of devotion. Macaulay.

3.

Act of devotedness or devoutness; manifestation of strong attachment; act of worship; prayer.

"The love of public devotion."

Hooker.

4.

Disposal; power of disposal.

[Obs.]

They are entirely at our devotion, and may be turned backward and forward, as we please. Godwin.

5.

A thing consecrated; an object of devotion.

[R.]

Churches and altars, priests and all devotions, Tumbled together into rude chaos. Beau. & Fl.

Days of devotion. See under Day.

Syn. -- Consecration; devoutness; religiousness; piety; attachment; devotedness; ardor; earnestness.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.