General Information

Nickname: Spurs
Owner: Enic (also floated on the London Stock Exchange)
Manager: Glenn Hoddle
Division: English Premiership
Stadium: White Hart Lane, Tottenham, London (capacity 36,200)
Highest Transfer Fee Paid: Sergei Rebrov from Dinamo Kiev (£11mil)
Most League Appearances: Steve Perryman (655)
Most League Goals: Jimmy Greaves (220)

History

For an in-depth look at the history of Spurs please see Tottenham Hotspur: History.

And if you know your history, you'll know that it has been highs and lows, thrills and spills, joy and pain for 118 years at Tottenham Hotspur. Legend has it that the club was formed as Hotspur FC in 1882 and, two years later, became Tottenham Hotspur.

The club blossomed and, after being elected into the Southern League, soon grew too big to play at Northumberland Park and moved to an area on High Road, eventually named White Hart Lane, in 1899. Spurs' history can be broken down into a number of successful periods, starting with the first great side in 1901 when, as a non-league outfit, the club won the FA Cup for the first time. That was followed by election into the Football League in 1908 and after two promotions and a relegation, Spurs won the FA Cup again in 1921.

After a spell in the Second Division, Arthur Rowe built the first championship-wining team at White Hart Lane in 1950. Famed for its 'push and run' style and including Bill Nicholson and World Cup winning manager Sir Alf Ramsey, Rowe's men clinched the crown by three points to end a 30-year wait for honours. Nicholson took over the hot seat in October 1958 and inspired the most famous and successful spell in the club's history.

He built one of the best sides seen in world football to clinch the First Division championship and FA Cup double in 1960-61, the first team to do so in the modern era. Nicholson's team, arguably Spurs' best-ever side, inspired by Danny Blanchflower and Dave Mackay and now with goalscoring legend Jimmy Greaves on board, went on to retain the FA Cup in 1962, win the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1963 and the FA Cup again in 1967.

As that great side broke up, Nicholson built again. In came Gilzean, Robertson, Jennings, Mullery and Venables and the FA Cup, two League Cups and the UEFA Cup followed. Nicholson's departure signalled a dip in fortunes until the next great team under the guidance of Keith Burkinshaw. With Hoddle, Ardiles and Villa to the fore, two more FA Cups and the UEFA Cup followed between 1981-84. Clive Allen bagged 49 goals as David Pleat's 1987 side were third in the league, FA Cup runners-up and League Cup semi-finalists but it wasn't until 1991 that the club tasted success again, with the Paul Gascoigne-inspired FA Cup triumph.

And so into a new millennium, with George Graham delivering the latest success with the League Cup in 1999. Is more success around the corner? At Spurs, you just never know.

Taken from www.spurs.co.uk in all its unbiased wonder

Honours

  • UEFA Cup:
    • Winners: 1972, 1984
    • Runners Up: 1974
  • Cup Winners Cup:
    • Winners: 1963
  • FA Cup:
    • Winners: 1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991
    • Runners Up: 1987
  • League Cup:
    • Winners: 1971, 1973, 1999
    • Runners Up: 1982
  • Charity Shield:
    • Winners: 1921, 1951, 1961, 1962
    • Runners Up: 1920, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991
  • Premier Division (formerly the First Division):
    • Winners: 1951, 1961
    • Runners Up: 1922, 1952, 1957, 1963
  • First Division (formerly the Second Division):
    • Winners: 1920, 1950
    • Runners Up: 1909, 1933

A Fan's View

Although easily one of the twenty richest clubs in the world (they were ranked 10th in 1999, even above local rivals Arsenal) they have failed to live up to their fans' expectations in recent years. Not since the sixties have Spurs been able to mount a serious challenge for the title and year on year wallow in mid-table. These days Spurs have been reduced to a cup side, winning the League or FA Cup every few years or so. New hope, however, has come from the new owner of the club, Enic, who it has been rumoured to have lined up Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle as a possible replacement to current manager George Graham despite his recent run of good form. Being 2001, at time of writing, is also a good omen for the club. The old proverb goes "It's lucky for Spurs when the year ends in 1" and there is an outside chance Tottenham may win the FA Cup this year. League success is still a long way off though.

New hope has emerged in the form of manager Glenn Hoddle. George Graham was never liked by a hardcore of Spurs supporters for his links to hated rivals Arsenal. Glenn Hoddle, however, is not only a talented manager but has Tottenham blood running through his veins. He spent 13 years at Spurs, coming up through the youth ranks before maturing into one of the greatest midfielders of all time. Whether he can bring back the glory days is yet to be seen.

Last Updated: 29/3/01

The club's motto is 'Audere est facere', which is Latin for 'To dare is to do'.

I guess the message here is that the only real failure is when you don't even try.

2003 Season

Spurs' 2003 season started the way the last season ended, badly. After falling into the relegation zone after only a few matches manager Glenn Hoddle was sacked and replaced by David Pleat. Spurs didn't improve much after that as new £7million signing Helder Postiga failed to score any league goals and Bobby Zamora failed to live up to his promise after injury problems. As well as being denide a semi-final place in the Carling Cup after a penalty shootout defeat to Middlesborough.

Fortunately Freddi Kanoute has been Tottenhams savior scoring bags of goals, which is exactly what Spurs need. The season has started to pick up and in 2004 Spurs won their first five games with Helder Postiga scoring his first premiership goal and Robbie Keane finding his goalscoring form again to help Spurs climb from 19th to 12th in the league.

After the january transfer window opened Spurs made a number of offers for new players and brought in Michael Brown from Sheffield United and Jemaine Defoe from West Ham United on the day of the transfer deadline to be reunited with fellow West Ham strike partner Freddi Kanoute. Unfortunately Leeds United turned down a £5 million offer for target goalkeeper Paul Robinson and young midfielder James Milner although Robinson agreeded terms with Spurs he is likely to join during the next transfer window.

On February 4th after a good run of league wins Spurs suffered another cup misery. After a mixed game saw the team draw 1-1 at the City Of Manchester Stadium a week earlier Manchester City had a trip to White Heart Lane. Spurs had a brilliant first half going 3-0 up with goals from Ledley King, Robbie Keane and Christian Ziege on his return from an long spell of injury. Man City hoped to go away with only some pride but after half time they were a changed team and although Spurs still had chances Man City managed to claw their way back up to 3-3. The in the 90th minute Spurs were left devestated after another goal put them out of the FA Cup as they were a victim of one of the greatest cup ties in history.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.