In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat; it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

So starts one of literatures classics, running through (in often the physical sense), hobbits, elves, dwarfs, orcs, dragons, trolls (and not a sloppyjoe amongst them), goblins, wizards, talking eagles, and many types of men, including what can only be described a werebear. And there's probably others I've missed on a cursory glance through.

It also gives sufficient information on its pages to reconstruct the runes used by Tolkien...

On the Map all the normal runes are found, except rune for X. I and U are used for J and V. There was no rune for Q (use CW); not for Z (the dwarf-rune rune may be used if required... Some single runes stand for two modern letters: th, ng, ee, other runes of the same kind (ea and st were also sometimes used.
It's a wonderful book. Read it.

The Hobbit, or to give the book its full title The Hobbit or, There and Back Again is essentially a precursor to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, written in 1937 by J.R.R Tolkien.

It follows the adventures of a hobbit called Bilbo Baggins, after he is fooled by the wizard, Gandalf and accidentally hired as a professional thief by Thorin Oakenshield and his band of dwarves. The group travel via the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood, to Lonely Mountain where they attempt regain their ancestral treasure trove from the dragon, Smaug. During the journey they encounter Trolls, Orcs, Goblins, Wargs, Eagles, and numerous Elves, as well as a fateful meeting between Bilbo and Gollum when a certain ring changes hands. The books culminates in the Battle of the Five Armies, and its aftermath.

I was unsure whether to elaborate on the books plot any more than I have done, and at the moment have decided against it – why I hear you ask ?, well so that you GO AND BUY THIS BOOK. It’s fantastic, and you will find yourself reading it over and over again, I know I have

The Hobbit is a book by JRR Tolkien written prior to, but acting as a prequel to, his Lord Of The Rings series of books. The book introduces the character of the hobbit, a short, stocky humanoid with furry feet and a polite manner. They live in homes they tunnel into hillsides, and generally keep to themselves.

In particular, one hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, is befriended by Gandalf the Grey Wizard and asked to come along on one of his adventures. Joining up with Gandalf and a team of dwarfs, Bilbo goes off with them on a quest to destroy a dragon. Along the way, after being caught by Orcs, Bilbo stumbles across a ring in a dark cave. This, not knowing it's worth, he drops into his pocket and forgets about it.

After destroying the dragon, and several other adventures, including being captured by giant spiders, held hostage by Wood Elves (where Bilbo discovers the ring holds the power of invisibility, allowing him to elude capture), and a battle with Orcs, Bilbo returns home with a hefty treasure from the dragon's horde.

This book gives a good background into the hobbits, the Middle Earth setting, and a brief insight into the Ring itself. It is a must-read for anyone interested in starting the Lord Of The Rings trilogy as the story and characters (and especially the olde worlde writing style) become easier to understand.

The Hobbit is also the name of a pub in Southampton, England. Pleasingly, it is a pub that a hobbit would approve of.

First impressions are that of a country pub, with bare brick interiors, rustic ornaments and wooden beams. Comfy armchairs and a fireplace add to the illusion. Tolkien-inspired art adorns the walls inside and out.

At the bar there is the usual choice of drinks and snacks plus a regular rotation of real ales and some theme cocktails. Happy hour is 5-7 pm, though the price difference is marginal. The early evening patrons are mostly locals; students will crowd in later.

Out back, there is a surprisingly large beer garden. Downstairs, there is a stage area and another bar which opens on busy band nights. The Hobbit is a common venue for local musical acts and even hosts mini "festivals" now and then. You can find out what's on by checking their regularly updated page at http://thehobbitpub.co.uk

The location, on Bevois valley road, is a little inconvenient unless you live in the student colony of Portswood. Expect a 20-30 minute trek from the city centre, or catch a bus. Avoid walking through this area alone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.