Arcade and Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Midway (Arcade) and CBS Games (2600)
Model Number: 80020 (2600)
Rarity: 3 Scarce
Year of Release: 1981 (Arcade) and 1983 (2600)
Programmer: Ben Blish (Arcade)

Solar Fox is a space shooter and a Pac-Man-type game all in one. The playing field is square and only has walls on the outside. Each wall has a moving cannon mounted that will fire odd shaped torpedoes at your ship. Scattered around the inside will be a bunch of pellets in various simple patterns. To complete each level you have to drive over, or shoot all of the pellets. If done quickly enough the game will skip a level (going from 1 to 3, etc).

From the manual

Earth has just about had it, Solar Fox. Centuries of waste have brought us to the brink of global war for control of what precious energy resources we have left. There's only one chance for peace - you! In a far corner of the galaxy hover vast, intricate formations of solar energy cells guarded by ominous, fireball-shooting Sentinels. Your mission is to navigate through those matrixes and capture those cells! The faster your speed, the greater your reward. Your Starships utilize advanced gyro-directional technology, but the only weapon you have is your skill as a pilot. And the supreme test of that skill will take place in the infamous Challenge Racks, where you'll attempt to unravel the ultimate mystery of your mission. Good luck, Solar Fox!

Collectors Information

The arcade version of this game came in a grey dedicated cabinet with sideart of a spacemans head inside an arrow shaped logo. The monitor was mounted deep inside the game, and what the player saw was actually a mirror (a lot of old games were like that). I haven't been able to set a value on this game yet.

This Atari version of this game is valued at around $3 USD (price current as of September 2001). As always, games with boxes and manuals are worth more.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.