For hundreds of millions of people around the world, Murray Walker IS the voice of Formula One motor racing. One of those few people who genuinely deserve the accolade "a legend in his own lifetime", Murray has been commentating on motor sport for over half a century.

After being demobbed from the army at the end of World War II, he started commentating on motor racing as an amateur. Such was his enthusiasm that he tried to cover every motor race possible, and in 1949 he was asked by the BBC to assist in their coverage of the British Grand Prix. Thus was born a true pop icon: ever since that race Murray has commentated on Grand Prix from around the world.

When the licence to broadcast live Grand Prix events in Britain passed from the BBC to ITV in 1997 many feared that this would be the end of one of the most famous voices on British television. Murray was instantly signed by ITV however (for a reported seven-figure sum) and a whole new chapter opened up in his career as the ITV broadcasts were syndicated and sold around the world. Today, despite being well into his 70s, over a quarter of a billion people listen to Murray's commentary once a fortnight during the F1 season.

Murray's other great talent is for stupendous commentary goofs. I won't list more than a couple here: the internet is chock full of them and anyone capable of using a search engine can find all they want. I'll just write down a couple of the more spectacular foul-ups the man has made though.

Really, this is a bit unfair. Murray is not just an enthusiastic commentator but one of the sport's greatest fans, and during a race he gets so excited and engrossed in what's happening that his brain doesn't seem to be able to process things like grammar and meaning properly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.