Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video was developed by Digital Pictures (of Night Trap infamy) and published in the US in 1992 by Sega for the unfortunate Sega CD add-on to the Sega Genesis. (While the Sega CD made it to Europe, under the name "Mega CD," I believe Europe was spared this abominable game.) Finding an actual copy of the game is mildly difficult in a used video game store, but the game is undesirable to the point of worthlessness, and goes for whatever the store owner thinks he can get, if it didn't go in the trash in the first place. Sega CD emulation is nonexistant.

Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video is a frightening example of video game design gone horribly wrong.

The concept is fairly simple. A handful of actors (none of whom could get a job as an extra in a Mexican soap opera) act out this little inane scene, then give you some uselessly vague instructions on how to make a video for them. Perhaps "Lots of power shots but no S-E-X" is elegant code describing how to mix shots of an egotistical lip-syncer with random stock footage. Damned if I can decypher it, though. In fact, the only way I've ever been able to satisfy the conditions was to pound randomly on the controller, generating a disjointed, nonsensical pile of crap.

It was exactly what the freakish boxing coach was looking for, apparently.

Of course, if you can figure out how to get to the inexplicably hidden options menu (A+C+Start), you can make your own music videos, without any asinine requests (other than your own - why would you play the game this far?). While the ability to rewind is handy, the stock footage is still random and cut into too-short clips, making any edit jumpy and disjointed, on top of the fact that precise cuts are nearly impossible because of the shortness of the clips. By the time the dancing cartoon guy or waltzing couple you want has come up on the screen, half of the clip is gone. Even more is lost if you take the several seconds it takes to line up the cursor on a wipe.

This isn't to say that the game is totally worthless. The manual is worth the price of entry. To quote the manual...

It seems that people have a hard time putting a label on Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch videos. Some like the power stuff. The guys like the tough parts. The girls go for the soft stuff. The dudes like to watch him box. The girls like the shots with the-other-word-that-ends-in-"X". And everyone likes the funky footwork, the fly shots and the pumping beat.

I couldn't make up something that funny if I tried.

In short, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video is pure crap. Even crazed Marky Mark fans, completist Sega collectors, and masochists should stay away from this steaming pile. Don't rent it, don't buy it, don't play it, don't even touch it.

If, for some reason, you ignore my advice, the songs on this "game" are Good Vibrations (which is actually a half-decent song), You Gotta Believe, and I Need Money (I'll say, he made this steaming turd).

Disclosure time - this was originally written for my (now defunct) site at www.gamerebellion.com, but this nodeshell compelled me to fill it. This isn't a case of cut and paste, as I rewrote it for E2, and it's by no means a copyright violation, since the original work is mine.

/msg amib Didn't Seanbaby write an article like this?
As a matter of fact, he did. In Electronics Gaming Monthly #150, Kriss Kross: Make My Video was one of Seanbaby's top 10 worst games ever. This article reminded me of the Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch game, one which I had a vague recollection of seeing in stores. I tracked down this game, and it was as bad as I remembered.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.