A volcano is an opening on the surface of the earth where melted rock (called magma) is ejected above the surface of the earth as lava.

volcanoes occur where tectonic plates come into contact with one another. there are approximately 1,000 active volcanoes in the world, many of them in an area known as the "Ring of Fire" which circles the Pacific Ocean.

Primary Types of Volcanoes

Types of Eruptions

Types of Ejected Materials (volcaniclastic particles)

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Episode Guide

Episode 16: Volcano
Original U.S. air date: September 25, 2001
Written by: Tom Wyner

The Predacons Slapper, Gas Skunk and Dark Scream are sent by Megatron to investigate a large energy signature underneath a Caribbean volcano while Sky-Byte and Scourge watch for Autobots above. As they do so, they trigger activity in the volcano, threatening a beachfront resort nearby. Detecting the problem from their headquarters, Optimus Prime leaves with the Spychangers to resolve the problem.

Upon arriving, Optimus attemps to use his own resources as a fire truck to slow the volcanic lava, but Scourge attacks him inside the crater. When the other Decepticons arrive and combine to form Ruination, the Spychangers and Optimus Prime work to hold off them and the Predacons while providing a safe path for the lava. Eventually they are successful, and the Predacons and Decepticons are driven off.

Previous episode  ||  Next episode


A filler episode, but one which gave Sky-Byte and Scourge a chance to get to know each other. At one time Sky-Byte attacks both Scourge and Optimus, and Scourge detects the betrayal and returns it in kind later. Scourge hadn't known about Sky-Byte's efforts to embarrass them in the previous episode "Commandos", and so had no concrete reason to distrust Sky-Byte until now. Beyond that there's no greater plot development going on, aside from Megatron's constant search for newer and greater sources of energy.

This is also the last episode to feature the Spychangers in any significant role; because of their special abilities, they're actually more useful this time than Prowl, Side Burn or X-Brawn. The Build Team and Ultra Magnus are about to be introduced in upcoming episodes, and the list of Autobots that need to be spotlighted quickly becomes unwieldy. Only near the end, in "Surprise Attack", do we see all of them brought onto the field at once.

Vol*ca"no (?), n.; pl. Volcanoes (#). [It. volcano, vulcano, fr. L. Vulcanus Vulkan, the god of fire. See Vulkan.] Geol.

A mountain or hill, usually more or less conical in form, from which lava, cinders, steam, sulphur gases, and the like, are ejected; -- often popularly called a burning mountain.

⇒ Volcanoes include many of the most conspicuous and lofty mountains of the earth, as Mt. Vesuvius in Italy (4,000 ft. high), Mt. Loa in Hawaii (14,000 ft.), Cotopaxi in South America (nearly 20,000 ft.), which are examples of active volcanoes. The crater of a volcano is usually a pit-shaped cavity, often of great size. The summit crater of Mt. Loa has a maximum length of 13,000 ft., and a depth of nearly 800 feet. Beside the chief crater, a volcano may have a number of subordinate craters.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.