Giant manufacturer of Hard Drives, Video Chipsets, drive controllers and D/A and A/D converters.

Perhaps I'm old school, but I still feel that the Caviar drives are some of the very best IDE hard drives available (second only to IBM), Sadly, they stopped producing their line of Enterprise SCSI drives.

Whereas WD's hard drive are great, their video chips suck. Thank goodness they're not widely used except in laptops and ancient 512k ISA video cards.

Addendum: Reliability. Okay, some of you have had problems with WD IDE drives. Yhat's fine, you know, whatever.. but in the interest of fairness, here are my experiences with WD IDE drives: I've had the priviledge of owning or working on a number of Western Digital IDE drives over the years; an 80m, 120m, 320m, 430m, 1.2g and 10g. In all that time I have only had two of them fail on my watch -- the 80 meg, because it had been running constantly for over 10 years (installed in 1989 and died in the early morning of 2000, the only drive I've ever seen to actually outlive its MTBF) and a new 1.2 gig which mysteriously lost all semblance of a boot sector a week after I installed it for no explained reason. Other than that, I've never had a problem, and I think 5 out of 6 isn't a bad reliability record. However, WD recently changed their designs to cut costs, so that may have something to do with this rash of supposed failures.