Quotes attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
- Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
- I die before my time and my body shall be given back to the earth and devoured by worms. What an abysmal gulf between my deep miseries and the eternal Kingdom of Christ. I marvel that whereas the ambitious dreams of myself and of Alexander and of Caesar should have vanished into thin air, a Judean peasant-Jesus-should be able to stretch his hands across the centuries, and control the destinies of men and nations.
- Let the path be open to talent.
- One can stop when he ascends, but not when he descends.
- Our hour is marked, and no one can claim a moment of life beyond what fate has predestined.
- What, sir, you would make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her decks? I pray you excuse me. I have no time to listen to such nonsense. (to Robert Fulton)
- When one seeks the cause of the successes of great generals, one is astonished to find that they did everything necessary to insure them.
- With audacity, one should undertake anything, but one can not accomplish everything.
- England is a nation of shopkeepers.
- Impossible is not French.
- Victory belongs to the most persevering.
- When China awakes, the world will tremble.
Quotes harvested from alt.quotations