How to make a Dream Pillow

(Craft project for Litha)

Materials:

Directions:

Hand-sew a dream pillow. First cut an expanse of cloth large enough to make your pillow and fold it in half so the INSIDE is OUTSIDE, then sew up the edges except for a hole just large enough to push the stuffing in. Turn your pillow right-side-out and stuff it. Then create a small sachet (of the same material if you like; it doesn't matter because it won't show), like a small pillow of the same except you don't have to worry about turning it inside out. Stuff the sachet with lavender and sage, or make one sachet for lavender and one for sage. Then slip the herbs into the pillow. Sew up the final hole. Incidentally, it is best to pick material that is blue or has a water image on it, to represent the wise water element, or a black or black-patterned material, to indicate connection with the Dark Crone Goddess, whose speciality is divination.

Ritual use:

You can actually sew this pillow in the circle, or make it mostly out of the circle and ceremoniously add the herbs while in circle. It is to be blessed with the appropriate tools and dedicated to the water element, and possibly anointed with water or divination-oriented oils. It can then be used to sleep on at night to encourage prophetic dreams and to better remember even those that are not of any particular meaning. It also functions as a nice Midsummer gift to a handfasting couple or just for any gift.

Note (generously contributed by graceness): Buffalo sage is great to use for this purpose if you can find it, but you might not be able to. Regular sage will do in its absence.

Pagan craft projects