The thoughts drive me in circles, insane, and it is all conjecture: 'what-if' and 'let's say', scenario construction that leaves me trembling, shaking, scared.

In the moving car with my nose pressed against the window (cold and fogged} I know we are going to have an accident and my hand will be crushed, bone shattered. Later, waking up, my first thought is to check where we are. An hour left on the highway, still snowing, good. Things should go as planned. As planned! Later yet, sitting in class that afternoon, I realize the crash did not eventuate. This is not me, then , I am sure. I am still in the parallel dimension, swishing fast down snow packed highways and headed for collision.

On the train, knowing that at home there are five hysterical messages from my mother. Knowing that the baby does not 'just have a cold' and need monitoring, no, she's in the hospital and now she's dead, *poof*. Shouting already, in my mind, mumbling words in horror. Chris, no. Shit. No. Fuck, stumbling over my own tongue in agony. Shuck. Fit. Chris, help, she's dead, talking in my mind to a friend I haven't met yet, clutching his shoulders and shaking him. Fuckfuckfuckhelp.

At home the answering machine glows steady, no messages. The baby is fine.