"On September 4th 1995 some of the best bands in Britain entered studios all over the Europe. Their intention was that by the end of the day they would have recorded a track for this album, with the aim of raising money for and focusing, attention on, the children caught up in the war in former Yugoslavia. This album was the result of everyone's HELP"

from www.warchild.org/artists/help/help.html

The Help album was released less than a week after the songs were recorded on September 9, 1995, selling over 71,000 copies that day alone. Album sales would raise nearly two million pounds on its first three days of release, which was used to provide humanitarian aid in Bosnia. Such was the haste in which the CD was recorded and mastered no track listing was provided in the packaging, so here is one now.

  1. Oasis and friends - Fade Away; the friends in the title include Kate Moss, this a rerecording of a track originally released as a b-side on Cigarettes and Alcohol.
  2. The Boo Radleys - Oh Brother; original song
  3. The Stone Roses - Love Spreads; live recording tof the final track of their 1994 album The Second Coming
  4. Radiohead - Lucky; original track that would later appear on OK Computer. Probably the outstanding track of the album it would later be released as lead track on the Help EP
  5. Orbital - Adnan; this is a shorter and original version of the track Adnan's that is on Orbital's 1996 album In Sides.
  6. Portishead - Mourning Air; original song, it would later be released on Portishead's eponymous 1997 album.
  7. Massive Attack - Fake the Aroma; a new version of their track Karmacoma ( from the 1994 album Protection, produced by Brian Eno and with Daddy G replacing Tricky on vocals)
  8. Suede - Shipbuilding; a cover of the classic Robert Wyatt track, written by Clive Langer and Elvis Costello
  9. The Charlatans - Time for Livin'; cover of Sly and the Family Stone song
  10. Stereo MC's - The Sweetest Truth (Show No Fear); original track
  11. Sinead O'Connor - Ode to Billy Joe; outstanding cover version of the Bobbie Gentry classic
  12. Levellers - Searchlights; cover of song written by Rev. Hammer, it would also feature as a b-side on their Fantasy single
  13. Manic Steet Preacers - Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head; cover of the Burt Bacharach song from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. This was their first recording after the disapperance of Richey Edwards.
  14. Terrorvision - Tom Petty Loves Veruca Salt; original song
  15. The One World Orchestra - The Magnificent; this was ex the KLF men Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty's contribution
  16. Planet 4 Folk Quartet - Message to Crommie; aka Andrew Weatherall and Dave Harrow
  17. Terry Hall and Salad - Dream a Little Dream of Me; cover of the Mamas and the Papas song
  18. Neneh Cherry and Trout - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; original song based on the children's counting song, Once I Caught A Fish Alive
  19. Blur - Eine Kleine Lift Musik; original song
  20. The Mojo Filters - Come Together - cover of the Beatles song by Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher and Paul McCartney

Inside the sleeve are notes by former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselvic. The cover of the album was designed by John Squire of The Stone Roses. The back sleeve contains a painting by 3D of Massive Attack. There are also photos of the devastation in Bosnia and of children helped by War Child, along with further contact information for War Child (www.warchild.org).

To try and maintain the momemtum their efforts had raised a Help EP was released to help promote the album, with Lucky by Radiohead as the lead track. Howver Radio 1 refused to playlist the single and general lack of promotion pervented the EP entering the UK Charts. Other tracks on the EP were - 50 ft Queenie by P.J. Harvey, Guru by Momentum and another untitled Portishead track. This means that Lucky was effectively the first single released off OK Computer albeit one few Radiohead fans actually possess.

A second single was released for the Christmas 1995 market. It was the Weller/Gallagher/McCartney version of Come Together although this time they were credited as The Smokin' Mojo Filters. B-sides were provided by The Beautiful South - A Minutes Silence, Dodgy - Is It Me, and Black Grape - In the Name of the Father(crown of thrones mix).

The Help album is a step above most other charity albums as it is actually listenable. Credit should go to Andy Macdonald and Tony Crean of Go! Discs who conceived the project. It used the popularity of Britpop in 1995 to good effect and was probably the most successful 'rock' charity beneift since Live Aid. War Child are now running projects in Bosnia Herzegovina, Kosovo and Serbia and in many other parts of the world.

Help (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Helped (?) (Obs. imp. Holp (), p. p. Holpen (); p. pr. & vb. n. Helping.] [AS. helpan; akin to OS. helpan, D. helpen, G. helfen, OHG. helfan, Icel. hjalpa, Sw. hjelpa, Dan. hielpe, Goth. hilpan; cf. Lith. szelpti, and Skr. klp to be fitting.]

1.

To furnish with strength or means for the successful performance of any action or the attainment of any object; to aid; to assist; as, to help a man in his work; to help one to remember; -- the following infinitive is commonly used without to; as, "Help me scale yon balcony."

Longfellow.

2.

To furnish with the means of deliverance from trouble; as, to help one in distress; to help one out of prison.

"God help, poor souls, how idly do they talk!"

Shak.

3.

To furnish with relief, as in pain or disease; to be of avail against; -- sometimes with of before a word designating the pain or disease, and sometimes having such a word for the direct object.

"To help him of his blindness." <-- now, in is used for that function; -- "to help him in his misery" -->

Shak.

The true calamus helps coughs. Gerarde.

4.

To change for the better; to remedy.

Cease to lament for what thou canst not help. Shak.

5.

To prevent; to hinder; as, the evil approaches, and who can help it?

Swift.

6.

To forbear; to avoid.

I can not help remarking the resemblance betwixt him and our author. Pope.

<-- often used with "but" -->

7.

To wait upon, as the guests at table, by carving and passing food.

To help forward, to assist in advancing. -- To help off, to help to go or pass away, as time; to assist in removing. Locke. -- To help on, to forward; to promote by aid. -- To help out, to aid, as in delivering from a difficulty, or to aid in completing a design or task.

The god of learning and of light Would want a god himself to help him out. Swift.

-- To help over, to enable to surmount; as, to help one over an obstacle. -- To help to, to supply with; to furnish with; as, to help one to soup. -- To help up, to help (one) to get up; to assist in rising, as after a fall, and the like. "A man is well holp up that trusts to you." Shak.

Syn. -- To aid; assist; succor; relieve; serve; support; sustain; befriend. -- To Help, Aid, Assist. These words all agree in the idea of affording relief or support to a person under difficulties. Help turns attention especially to the source of relief. If I fall into a pit, I call for help; and he who helps me out does it by an act of his own. Aid turns attention to the other side, and supposes cooperation on the part of him who is relieved; as, he aided me in getting out of the pit; I got out by the aid of a ladder which he brought. Assist has a primary reference to relief afforded by a person who "stands by" in order to relieve. It denotes both help and aid. Thus, we say of a person who is weak, I assisted him upstairs, or, he mounted the stairs by my assistance. When help is used as a noun, it points less distinctively and exclusively to the source of relief, or, in other words, agrees more closely with aid. Thus we say, I got out of a pit by the help of my friend.

 

© Webster 1913.


Help (?), v. i.

To lend aid or assistance; to contribute strength or means; to avail or be of use; to assist.

A generous present helps to persuade, as well as an agreeable person. Garth.

To help out, to lend aid; to bring a supply.

 

© Webster 1913.


Help, n. [AS. help; akin to D. hulp, G. hulfe, hilfe, Icel. hjalp, Sw. hjelp, Dan. hielp. See Help, v. t.]

1.

Strength or means furnished toward promoting an object, or deliverance from difficulty or distress; aid; ^; also, the person or thing furnishing the aid; as, he gave me a help of fifty dollars.

Give us help from trouble, for vain is the help of man. Ps. lx. 11.

God is . . . a very present help in trouble. Ps. xlvi. 1.

Virtue is a friend and a help to nature. South.

2.

Remedy; relief; as, there is no help for it.

3.

A helper; one hired to help another; also, thew hole force of hired helpers in any business.

4.

Specifically, a domestic servant, man or woman.

[Local, U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.