• White cranes, identical, all over campus (fountains, a courtyard suddenly here too but I knew it was still Oglethorpe) – standing on each other’s backs, 3 and 4 high, or standing silently in tiers on the steps going up into the fountains. Backs to the crowd, motionless. Deer walking around, extra-fuzzy deer. One had her fawn asleep curled up on her back, like koalas.

  • I was back at the middle school and word got around that Counting Crows would be making an appearance at the high school in a few minutes, so a dozen of us hurried over, walking on the curb – I was in a skirt – when we got there, Andy Althizer instructed us on where to stand, how to act (“no sudden moves”), and we waited. In the dream I had a song in my head – same one that was in my head the other day – damn song – “Mcsomebody and Mcsomebodyelse couldn’t get much higher, (something) you know where it’s at . . . everybody’s gettin fat ‘cept Mama Cass...”

  • In an elevator with 3 or 4 other people and it was acting odd so we got off – I’m not sure if the last woman made it out – I ran because the building was starting to shake – run for the stairs – big, open spaces inside the building, lots of girders, supports, tall glass windows, huge sheets of glass and it was all coming apart – I made it down a couple of turns – circular staircase and I remember thinking, It curves the wrong way, then woke up shaking, lay there for a while with my heartbeat.