Liquor Licencing in Australia

The hospitality industry (that means pubs, hotels, restaurants and bottle shops) abides by the liquor control act of 1987 (which was reformed in 1991 and 1998). In essence (which is a good way to get drunk if you're not yet 18 by the way), this details the rules and regulations of how alcohol is served, and if necessary, the fines.

Having proper ID is required to be able to enter and drink on licenced premises. It is the venue's responsibility to check for identification - places which have bouncers instruct them to check possible minors, and barstaff will ask people for ID before serving them. Valid forms of identification are Passports, Keypasses, Learner Permits (only recently has Learner Permits been an option as a valid form of ID), Probationary Licences, Full licences, and a valid Proof of Age Card.

Underage Drinking
Despite the somewhat contradictory (at least where the law is concerned) motif, there is a valid reason for a section of this nature. Underagers can remain on a licenced premises if they are eating a meal or they are with a parent/guardian, and they are allowed to consume alcohol if they are with a parent/guardian and eating a meal. Obviously though, if the child is greatly underage, they will not be given liquor. These clauses are included so children have some experience with drinking/being in a drinking establishment, but ensure that the action is undertaken in a responsible manner. Hospitality industry worker are advised to remember MOP and MAP: Remain - Meal Or Parent. Drink - Meal And Parent. Typically though, the kids will be getting pissed at parties and in parks when they're 16 and under.

If you are underage and you are caught drinking or buying alcohol without a meal/parent, the fine is $500, or you can opt for an on-the-spot fine of $50.
A person caught serving alcohol to an underage on intoxicated person will receive a fine of $500, or $50 on-the-spot.
The licencee of the establishment will, in either case, receive a $2000 fine, or take a $200 fine on the spot.
If you are drunk, violent, or quarrelsome and you refuse to leave a licenced establishment when asked, you will get a $2000 fine, or $200 on-the-spot.
Inspectors will bring children into pubs and see if they get served to determine fines. If you are serving, and you view ID that is a fake and still serve, you may not get a fine. The circumstances (and the ID) will be reviewed, and if it is understandable that your decision was to let them in, you are alright. That is why you should ask for birthdates/middle names if in doubt, but if the young hopefully has all their shit in order, then (hopefully) you will not be in the shit.