If you're a new writer, struggling to get published by (gasp! PAYING!) markets, you're a target for many of the scammers trying to get into your bank account.

Enter Preditors and Editors, a project that used to be a part of the SFWA. Now located at http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/, it has saved many fledgling authors from the lowest of the low, folks who prey on the hopes and aspirations of the creative -- a creative writer's dementor, if you would.

Have you ever heard of PublishAmerica? Take a Google-sampling of the horiffic stories and feedback of authors who dealt with them. They were listed on Predators and Editors, and have decided to sue P&E.

A call went out for donations of funds to help offset the costs of a lawsuit, and Eric Enke decided to help facilitate a fundraising anthology. He posted a call for submissions on the Horror Writers Association membership board, and many answered, including me. They were silly enough to accept one of my short stories titled Dead Meat, a tale about zombie cows. Yes, you read that correctly -- zombie cows.

So, if you're interested, either donate outright to P&E, or buy a copy of the book. It's located at http://stores.lulu.com/preditorsandeditors. Even if you don't have the spare bucks, stop by the P&E website before signing contracts with a publisher or agent.