Every so often, the Land of Hope and Glory is swept with a wave of peace, harmony, brotherhood and goodwill to men. People find themselves talking to complete strangers; black children are playing with white children, Muslims and Jews are peacefully co-existing. All around me, people are friendly and cheerful; united by a common cause.

Football.

"Soccer" to everyone else, but that isn't the point. It isn't the Second Coming, it isn't sudden nation-wide spiritual enlightenment. It's a bunch of guys in shorts, kicking a ball into a net.

Don't get me wrong. I like football. I watch it when it's on TV, I even cheer sometimes. I recognise, however, that it's only a game. Football shouldn't have the power to temporarily suspend racism and animosity between countrymen. However, football means a lot to the English. And what's the problem, you ask, when the only effect is to unite a nation?

Well, there's the other side of the coin. While uniting countrymen, football (and the other major sports, I'm sure; football is just my handy example) has the unfortunate effect of inducing a sort of xenophobia in fans and may even awaken the old grudges. A random person in a shop today told me that he hoped the English team got to play Germany again; his response, when I asked why, was: "To get them back for what they did in the war!"

No, those were the Nazis.

There is still a certain restlessness noticeable in English fans when England plays Germany. This is why the 1966 World Cup Final (when England beat Germany 4-2) is still the proudest moment of many people's lives. This is also why England fans cheer extra hard when their team is playing Argentina, or even France. Yes, apparently some people still hold a grudge about 1066.

This isn't a bash at football. This is about a sport having the power to unite countrymen and demonise foreigners. The reason for it? Well, we haven't had a good war in a long time. People still need to feel that their country is the best, the most powerful; if not by marching over other nations, by trouncing them in a game of footie. Soon, the moment will have passed, and the world will return to normal; countrymen can return to bickering amongst themselves and identifying petty differences as reasons for discrimination, and the Germans will be the friendly Europeans again.

It's only a game.