- favourable to progress or reform, as in religious or political affairs.
- (cap.) of or relating to the Liberal political party.
- favourable to or in accord with the policy of leaving the individual as unrestricted as possible in the opportunities for self-expression or self-fulfilment.
- of representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
- free of prejudice or bigotry; tolerant.
- a person of liberal principles or views, especially in religion or politics.
- (often cap.) a member of the Liberal party in politics - phrase
- small-l liberal, a person with conservative tendencies, but who takes pride in having an independent, progressive point of view.
(ME) from Latin liberalis relating to a free man)
The Macquarie Dictionary (3rd Edition) (1993) Macquarie University: The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd