Shlock Rock was founded by frontman Lenny Solomon in 1986. While the band does perform some original material, it's primarily known for its output of parody songs, which shamelessly appropriate the tunes and arrangements of well known, universally recognized rock songs, for use with new lyrics. These lyrics usually concern Jewish observance and Jewish pride. Think Rabbi Meir Kahane with a dumb sense of humor and an electric keyboard instead of a thuggish army. The results are mixed, but occassionally it all comes together, particularly with sound-alike substitutions such as "I Love that Old Time Torah Scroll" (I Love that Old Time Rock and Roll) and "Barbanel" (Barbarel).

The only crime inherent in this type of music occurs when sheltered religious Jews listen to Shlock Rock, and end up recognizing a given parody song, but not the song it originates from. A student at my high school comes to mind, who could sing the Shlock Rock song "If you'll be my study guide/ I can be a mitzvah gal" but didn't even know of the existence of Paul Simon's "If you'll be my bodyguard/ I can be your long lost pal".

On the road there are "160 different Shlock Rock bands". This is because Lenny Solomon is the only band member who actually goes anywhere; he recruits the remaining band members from in or near the city that he's performing in. Apparently good Jewish yeshiva bachurs, rabbinim, and baale-batim have better things to do than go on tour. New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area band members include: Discography:
Info from my personal recollections and from www.shlockrock.com