1. Slang for a soldier in the infantry, which has gradually become a term referring to a low-level employee in any field.

2. One of the original 1982 set of G.I. Joe 3 3/4" action figures. He came with an M-16 and a backpack. He was the blandest and least interesting of the Joes because he had no special attributes or equipment; he was just, well, a grunt. Maybe that was why the next year he was packaged with the Falcon Attack Glider as its pilot. The 1983 Grunt was unarmed and had a tan uniform instead of the original green.

Grunt retired and got an engineering degree from Georgia Tech. In 1991, he was back as an E5 in a garish brown and orange outfit with an oversized missile launcher. A less ridiculous Grunt in a camouflage shirt and with an AK-47 was packaged with the 1997 Stars and Stripes Forever boxed set. He was now an E6.

1982 filecard:

INFANTRY TROOPER

Code Name: GRUNT

File Name: Graves, Robert W. SN: RA52779623
Primary Military Specialty: Infantry
Secondary Military Specialty: Small Arms Armoror (sic) Artillery Coordinator
Birthplace: Columbus, Ohio Grade: E-4
Familiar with all NATO and Warsaw Pact small arms as well as domestic civilian arms. Graduated: Advanced Infantry Training. Finished in top ten of his class. Qualified Expert: M-14;M-16; M-1911A1 (Auto-Pistol).
"Grunt is a highly motivated, systematic individual. He’s a stand-up guy who doesn’t blow his cool in a fire-fight."

Comic book appearances:
* G.I. JOE: #1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 18, 22, 24, 32, 33, 49, 50, 55, 56, 62, 78, 144-flashback, 145
* G.I. JOE Yearbook: #2
* G.I. JOE: Order of Battle: #1

Filecards and information from http://www.yojoe.com