Here is a way to make a vegetable curry that is not just brown gack:
- Heat the oil or butter gently in a large pan, add the onions and fry gently until they are softened (transparent).
- Add the spices and garlic, fry for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the carrots, fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Add stock, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add courgettes and cauliflower.
- Cook around 10 more minutes, until the carrots are done but not until the cauliflower goes soft and squishy. Hard carrot is far preferable to squishy cauliflower.
- Stir in the nuts and yoghurt and heat through.
Serve with rice, naan, chapati, cucumber in yoghurt, imagination...
- You can double the quantities of spices and garlic with no ill effects.
- If you like coriander, add some whole seeds and enjoy the taste exploding in your mouth when you bite on them.
- Add some potatoes at the same time as the carrots. You'll need more oil and spices.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower.
- Add other vegetables.
- Leave out vegetables.
This recipe is derived from one in a vegetarian cookery book in which none of the other recipes were any good at all. It therefore gets no credit, especially since I no longer have it and have forgotten what it was called.