Charles Darwin, as written by H.P. Lovecraft, from The Origin of the Species.

If, in the unimaginable length of time since the formation of this, our unknowable and limitless universe, there has been accidental and sometimes horrifying changes in the forms of the many and varied creatures which roam our planet; if there is, as cannot be argued against, a constant and unending struggle amongst the creatures on our planet for their very survival (be they shuggoth or Arkham professor); then, considering the unimaginably vast and unknowable relations that creatures of our planet have with each other, it seems highly unlikely that there never would at some point be a subtle, possibly infinitesimal, variation in the character of a creature which dwells upon our world that would unimaginably help the individual creature.

If this is the truth, as unknowably as that difficult to describe phenomenon is known, then it is highly probable that such a variation might assist the creature in finding a mate and procreating, possibly in some dark and unimaginable hole in the earth, and thus through the principle of inheritance it would be passed on to its small, squirming offspring. This principle, in the interests of keeping the term which I shall use to describe it brief, I have decided to call by the highly logical and understandable name of "Natural Selection".
From pg. 127 of the First Edition.