Final Fantasy Tactics is the most viciously anti-Catholic game that I have personally ever played (warning: spoilers ahead). This has caused a great deal of controversy over the game - some applaud the Catholic-bashing while some decry it, but its presence should be obvious to one with even the broadest knowledge of the Catholic Church.

The game's Glabados Church is set up in a hierarchy obviously modeled on the church, including bishops, cardinals, and even the pope himself. The religion is based on the story and worship of St. Ajora, who supposedly performed various miracles throughout his life and was named the "Son of God." Following the path of an ancient legend, Ajora and his TWELVE disciples (i.e. apostles) collected the Zodiac stones and used them to rid the land of an evil demon. One of the powerful nations in the area feared the power of Ajora, and paid one of his disciples to betray him (hello, Judas). Ajora is then captured and executed at the Golgorand Execution Site (they weren't quite willing to call it Golgotha). I doubt I need to say it at this point, but St. Ajora is a rather obvious parallel for Jesus.

Throughout Final Fantasy Tactics, the Church is portrayed as meddling and power-hungry, and your enemies are frequently high-ranking Church officials. There are "Heresy Examiners" whose cruel methods of weeding out heresy parallel those used by the Inquisitors during the Spanish Inquisition. Near the end of the game it is revealed that not only did the Church help start the major war which dominates the game, but the Pope also plans to assassinate the leaders of the nations involved to make sure that he can lead the nations unopposed when the war is over. This sort of thing is fairly standard in anti-Catholic works, but Final Fantasy Tactics goes a step further - the "Glabados" Church is not simply wrongheaded, but is evil to its very core. The Church has begun collecting the Zodiac stones from the Ajora legend, stones which turn out to be excellent means with which to contact the netherworld. You are confronted by several high-ranking Churchmen who have used a stone to trade their soul to the devil for power, who you then must destroy. Not a nice representation of Catholic officials.

However, the game's most vicious attack is found in what you learn during the game about St. Ajora, much of which is contained in a secret text concealed from the world by the Church. Not only was Ajora not the "Son of God," he was a spy whose mission was to spread dissent and disorder; his "Judas" was another spy, sent to spy on him . Ajora did collect the Zodiac stones, as told in his story - not to save the world, however, but to conquer it. The demon from which St. Ajora was reputed to have saved the world was, in fact, St. Ajora. In the last battle of the game, St. Ajora is being resurrected (Second Coming) and you have to stop it, because he comes not as savior but as destroyer; this "Bloody Angel" means to destroy the world. Thus, the game's Christ turns out to be the Antichrist.

How you interpret all this is up to you. I have read editorials which angrily denounce Squaresoft for claiming that Catholics are just a bunch of devil worshippers, while others I have read claim that the similarities between the Glabados and Catholic churches are simply an unintended coincidence. Whatever your feelings on Catholicism, however, it is interesting to play this game and watch these parallels unfold before you. Incidentally, at the end of the game, one of the main characters publishes the truth about everything he saw; he was burned at the stake for heresy.