With reckless abandon I chase any semblance of this when nothing is apparent and everything is obscured,

this is what I see as secure.

All I used to have is slowly convincing myself it was only a dream as I slide into a comfortable space in the middle of pseudo-this where nothing is shared and I am never asked,

this is the goal for the best.

The constant reminder of the artificial world, the neon rainy lack of this strips my mind of all of its peace. It's almost too late;

this is the narrow vision to which I run to every warm corner to escape.

In C++, in every member function, a pointer called this is defined to point to the object for which the member function was called. Without the this pointer, member functions could not be used for linked list manipulation (among other things).

this is a pointer and not a reference because when it was introduced in C with Classes the language didn't have references.

It is the equivelent of Simula's THIS reference, and is called this rather than self because C++ borrows its terminology from Simula rather than Smalltalk.

This (?), pron. & a.; pl. These (#). [OE. this, thes, AS. [eth]�xc7;s, masc., [eth]eos, fem., [eth]is, neut.; akin to OS. these, D. deze, G. dieser, OHG. diser, deser, Icel. �xed;essi; originally from the definite article + a particle -se, -si; cf. Goth. sai behold. See The, That, and cf. These, Those.]

1.

As a demonstrative pronoun, this denotes something that is present or near in place or time, or something just mentioned, or that is just about to be mentioned.

When they heard this, they were pricked in their heart. Acts ii. 37.

But know this, that if the good man of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched. Matt. xxiv. 43.

2.

As an adjective, this has the same demonstrative force as the pronoun, but is followed by a noun; as, this book; this way to town.

This may be used as opposed or correlative to that, and sometimes as opposed to other or to a second this. See the Note under That, 1.

This way and that wavering sails they bend. Pope.

A body of this or that denomination is produced. Boyle.

Their judgment in this we may not, and in that we need not, follow. Hooker.

Consider the arguments which the author had to write this, or to design the other, before you arraign him. Dryden.

Thy crimes . . . soon by this or this will end. Addison.

This, like a, every, that, etc., may refer to a number, as of years, persons, etc., taken collectively or as a whole.

This twenty years have I been with thee.. Gen. xxxi. 38.

I have not wept this years; but now My mother comes afresh into my eyes. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.