Existing somewhere between High and Low, a state of perfect normalness. Also a carrier
for a message.

someone who communicates with the spirits of the dead (who is, of course a carrier for a message).

(YORISHIRO) An object which attracts divine spirits (souls) or which acts as a media through which these spirits manifest themselves. In episode 26', Kouzou Fuyutsuki refers to Eva-01 as a "Medium" (Well of Souls) when SEELE uses it to create the Tree of Life.

Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

In addition to the mathematical, mass media and the mystical definitions of "medium" we have the microbiolist's definition:

The substrate on which bacteria are grown in a laboratory is called a medium. Culture media provide the food and environment that allows bacteria to grow.

Common media include agar, beef extract, yeast extract, and peptones. Liquid media is called broth. Solid media is called agar.

Medium. (noun, plural: media)

A means of mass communication, such as newpapers, magazines, radio, or television.

An object or device, such as a disk, upon which data is stored.

Usage Note: The plural "media" is often used to refer to a particular means of communication (e.g. "The Internet is the most exciting new media since television"). This usage is strictly speaking incorrect as in such contexts it should be the singular "medium".

A one hour drama currently running on NBC mondays at 10:00 PM in the U.S. Note: I had said it was on CBS because I watch it on tivo and got confused, thanks to artman2003 for correcting me, and sorry for any confusion I caused. According to La petite mort this is being shown in England but as always, I have no idea about television in the rest of the world. The primary character of the show is Allison Dubois (played by Patricia Arquette) who was once in law school, but gave that up because of the call of her psychic powers. She is a medium. She has a rocket scientist husband and three too cute daughters.

Ok, so it sounds hokey. The acting is not so great either, which actually adds to the show. It seems more real. I think they do everything but the psychic bits in just one take, because the dream sequences and visions seem so much more polished. Again, this gives you a minor feel of a documentary.

After giving up law, she helped the district attorney solve the case she was on just before quitting and he ended up giving her a consulting job. As she proved herself and her abilities she's been given more and more work and respect.

Each episode begins with a dream sequence, from which she usually wakes up in terror and/or shock. Usually these dreams will have direct relevance to the case she gets the next day, but not always. The show makes very good use of her power, and you can never really be sure what a vision means until later.

The husband is a way-too-nice guy, who often tries to talk her down about her powers, he is a scientist after all. Lately his attempts at logic have been more along the lines of interpretation of the visions/dreams rather than denial of their reality.

Much time is spent trying to balance the life of work and raising three kids, and the couple often have fights that couples have. Throwing a kink into all that is that the oldest daughter is beginning to express abilities as well.

My opinion of the show is mostly positive. The writing is great and only getting better, the production values are appropriate to the feel, and performances are satisfactory. I find that Medium is able to stop me from figuring out what's going on at least 10 minutes longer than most shows.

Me"di*um (?), n.; pl. L. Media (#), E. Mediums (#). [L. medium the middle, fr. medius middle. See Mid, and cf. Medius.]

1.

That which lies in the middle, or between other things; intervening body or quantity. Hence, specifically: (a) Middle place or degree; mean.

The just medium . . . lies between pride and abjection. L'Estrange.

(b) Math.

See Mean

. (c) Logic

The mean or middle term of a syllogism; that by which the extremes are brought into connection

.

2.

A substance through which an effect is transmitted from one thing to another; as, air is the common medium of sound. Hence: The condition upon which any event or action occurs; necessary means of motion or action; that through or by which anything is accomplished, conveyed, or carried on; specifically, in animal magnetism, spiritualism, etc., a person through whom the action of another being is said to be manifested and transmitted.

Whether any other liquors, being made mediums, cause a diversity of sound from water, it may be tried. Bacon.

I must bring together All these extremes; and must remove all mediums. Denham.

3.

An average.

[R.]

A medium of six years of war, and six years of peace. Burke.

4.

A trade name for printing and writing paper of certain sizes. See Paper.

5. Paint.

The liquid vehicle with which dry colors are ground and prepared for application.

Circulating medium, a current medium of exchange, whether coin, bank notes, or government notes. -- Ethereal medium Physics, the ether. -- Medium of exchange, that which is used for effecting an exchange of commodities -- money or current representatives of money.

 

© Webster 1913.


Me"di*um, a.

Having a middle position or degree; mean; intermediate; medial; as, a horse of medium size; a decoction of medium strength.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.