In the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion, the interconnected trio of sentient supercomputers that run both the city of Tokyo-3 and NERV Headquarters. They consist of Casper, Balthasar and Melchior. Each one contains a partial copy of the personality and memories of their creator, Dr. Naoko Akagi. One is herself as a woman, one is herself as a mother, and one is herself as a scientist. At one point the computers were invaded by the Eleventh Angel, Ireul.

There are other Magi systems featured in Neon Genesis Evangelion. In the first part of End of Evangelion they are used to attempt to hack into NERV's Magi, their locations are as follows:

  • Magi-2: Matsushiro (Japan)
  • Magi-3: Berlin (Germany)
  • Magi-4: Massachusetts (U.S.A.)
  • Magi-5: Hamburg (Germany)
  • Magi-6: Beijing (China)


    Update 19/04/01

    A supercomputer whose basic theory was completed by the late Dr. Naoko Akagi and which was implemented by her daughter, Dr. Ritsuko Akagi. MAGI could be considered the brain of Special Agency NERV, and it formulates, investigates and resolves various problems and plans. MAGI consists of three computer systems: MELCHIOR-1, BALTHASAR-2 and CASPER-3, and a final decision is reached by these three computers conferring together.

    These computers are similar to humans not only in the sense that they systematically recreate human dilemmas, but also in their use of personality-transplant OS by which human thought patterns are transplanted to the computers. The thought patterns transplanted to MAGI are those of its developer, Dr. Naoko Akagi. MELCHIOR-1, has the transplanted thought pattern of Naoko as a scientist, BALTHASAR-2 as a mother and CASPER-3, as a woman.

    Incidentally, the name MAGI comes from the three wise men from the east who prophesied the birth of Jesus in the New Testament. MELCHIOR, BALTHASAR and CASPER are also taken from the names of these wise men. At the beginning of episode 25' "Air", five MAGI-type computers in Matsushiro (MAGI-2), Germany, the US and China tried to hack into the original MAGI located in NERV HQ.

    Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

  • Ma"gi (?), n. pl. [L., pl. of Magus, Gr. ; of Per. origin. Cf. Mage, Magic.]

    A caste of priests, philosophers, and magicians, among the ancient Persians; hence, any holy men or sages of the East.

    The inspired Magi from the Orient came. Sandys.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.