'Hip is derived from a much earlier phrase 'to be on the hip.' It was originally a bit of opium-smoking argot. The smoker lies on his hip, off in his inner world."

from, "If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him!" by Sheldon B. Kopp

Hip (?), n. [OE. hipe, huppe, AS. hype; akin to D. heup, OHG. huf, G. hufte, Dan. hofte, Sw. hoft, Goth. hups; cf. Icel. huppr, and also Gr. the hollow above the hips of cattle, and Lith. kumpis ham.]

1.

The projecting region of the lateral parts of one side of the pelvis and the hip joint; the haunch; the huckle.

2. Arch.

The external angle formed by the meeting of two sloping sides or skirts of a roof, which have their wall plates running in different directions.

3. Engin

In a bridge truss, the place where an inclined end post meets the top chord.

Waddell.

Hip bone Anat., the innominate bone; -- called also haunch bone and huckle bone. -- Hip girdle Anat., the pelvic girdle. -- Hip joint Anat., the articulation between the thigh bone and hip bone. -- Hip knob Arch., a finial, ball, or other ornament at the intersection of the hip rafters and the ridge. -- Hip molding Arch., a molding on the hip of a roof, covering the hip joint of the slating or other roofing. -- Hip rafter Arch., the rafter extending from the wall plate to the ridge in the angle of a hip roof. -- Hip roof, Hipped roof Arch., a roof having sloping ends and sloping sides. See Hip, n., 2., and Hip, v. t., 3. -- Hip tile, a tile made to cover the hip of a roof. -- To catch upon the hip, ∨ To have on the hip, to have or get the advantage of; -- a figure probably derived from wresting. Shak. -- To smite hip and thigh, to overthrow completely; to defeat utterly. Judg. xv. 8.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hip, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hipped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Hipping.]

1.

To dislocate or sprain the hip of, to fracture or injure the hip bone of (a quadruped) in such a manner as to produce a permanent depression of that side.

2.

To throw (one's adversary) over one's hip in wrestling (technically called cross buttock).

3.

To make with a hip or hips, as a roof.

Hipped roof. See Hip roof, under Hip.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hip (?), n. [OE. hepe, AS. heope; cf. OHG. hiufo a bramble bush.] Bot.

The fruit of a rosebush, especially of the English dog-rose (Rosa canina).

[Written also hop, hep.]

Hip tree Bot., the dog-rose.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hip, interj.

Used to excite attention or as a signal; as, hip, hip, hurra!

 

© Webster 1913.


Hip, or Hipps (), n.

See Hyp, n.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.