Building environment:

The art or science of building; especially, the art of building houses, churches, bridges, skyscrapers, and other structures. Numerous people have made the association between the physical structure of buildings and the layout and design of computers, including Christopher Alexander. Prominent architects include:

Related Nodes:

Buildings:

Computing environment:

The structure of a computer's hardware and/or software system and how they work together.

Related nodes:


Source: Whitford, Frank, "Bauhaus", Thames and Hudson, London, 1984 http://www.architecture.com/ http://www.GreatBuildings.com/buildings.html Last Updated 06.12.04

Architecture is so much more than the average person realizes. It is not about drafting or even building. Real architecture has more to do with philosophy and psychology than it does with construction. Architects SHOULD be concerened with manipulating the human experience. They should always question how their work influences reality. By the way, any architect who designs primarily in floor plan is not a thinker. Floor plans are retarded. Designing in section perspective, or model are the best ways to design the human experience.

Ar"chi*tec`ture (?; 135), n. [L. architectura, fr. architectus: cf. F. architecture. See Architect.]

1.

The art or science of building; especially, the art of building houses, churches, bridges, and other structures, for the purposes of civil life; -- often called civil architecture.

Many other architectures besides Gothic. Ruskin.

3.

Construction, in a more general sense; frame or structure; workmanship.

The architecture of grasses, plants, and trees. Tyndall.

The formation of the first earth being a piece of divine architecture. Burnet.

Military architecture, the art of fortifications. -- Naval architecture, the art of building ships.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.