Museum of Modern Art

11 West 53 rd Street (between 5th and 6th Avenues)

Sat-Tues and Thursday 10:30 am -6 pm, Friday 10:30 am - 8:30 pm (Closed Wed.) There are six photo galleries, a theatre offering free film and video screenings daily, a Philip Johnson architecture gallery, and two restaurants overlooking the outdoor Sculpture Garden.

Manhattan

Established in 1926 by 3 wealthy women, including Abby Rockefeller. It was the first museum devoted entirely to Modern Art. At the current time there are over 100,000 works in the permanent collection. At the time, there was limited appreciation for Modern Art in the United States, the group who formed MoMA sought to help educate the general population. On my first visit I was completely overwhelmed. It was much like walking through the pages of an Art History book, only all the paintings were real and right in front of you.

It's an internationally recognized collection of some of the most important works of the century, including 100,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs, architectural models and drawings, and design objects.

The major Art movements represented:

Here are a partial list of artists whose work is represented at MoMA:

Probably the largest collection in the world privately supported.

Related nodes:

There are also museums by the same name in San Francisco, Tokyo, Dublin, Bulleen, Victoria Australia and etc.
Sources: www.moma.org/ Rubin, William S., "Dada, Surrealism, and Their Heritage", Museum of Modern Art, NY, 1968. Last Updated 04.10.04

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.