A euphemism for the genitals; e.g. the male anatomy, the female anatomy.

Also a science course you'll never catch me taking., usually named in conjunction: "Anatomy and Physiology", or A&P for short.

I did take Drawing anatomy, however, which isn't nearly as much fun as it sounds.

A*nat"o*my (#), n.; pl. Anatomies (#). [F. anatomie, L. anatomia, Gr. dissection, fr. to cut up; + to cut.]

1.

The art of dissecting, or artificially separating the different parts of any organized body, to discover their situation, structure, and economy; dissection.

2. The science which treats of the structure of organic bodies; anatomical structure or organization.

Let the muscles be well inserted and bound together, according to the knowledge of them which is given us by anatomy. Dryden.

⇒ "Animal anatomy" is sometimes called zomy; "vegetable anatomy," phytotomy; "human anatomy," anthropotomy.

Comparative anatomy compares the structure of different kinds and classes of animals.

3.

A treatise or book on anatomy.

4.

The act of dividing anything, corporeal or intellectual, for the purpose of examining its parts; analysis; as, the anatomy of a discourse.

5.

A skeleton; anything anatomized or dissected, or which has the apearance of being so.

The anatomy of a little child, representing all parts thereof, is accounted a greater rarity than the skeleton of a man in full stature. Fuller.

They brought one Pinch, a hungry, lean-faced villain, A mere anatomy. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.