"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to learn to live in the same box."

            --Unknown
Crayon (http://www.crayon.net) or CreAte Your Own Newspaper, is one of a number of websites that allow you to customize the news you receive.

Other sites are Infogate (http://www.infogate.com/index.php?page=download:index_pointcast2), and ENews.com (http://www.enews.com/userId:www-100940735/7.0/home/0,3520,pageType=homePage|siteID=43997,00.html).

None of these sites provide what I would really want in my own personal customizable newspaper, and have become little more than a way to attract eyeballs to the adds they sell.

Of the three Crayon is the least intrusive.

crayola books = C = creationism

crayon n.

1. Someone who works on Cray supercomputers. More specifically, it implies a programmer, probably of the CDC ilk, probably male, and almost certainly wearing a tie (irrespective of gender). Systems types who have a Unix background tend not to be described as crayons. 2. Formerly, anyone who worked for Cray Research; since the buyout by SGI, anyone they inherited from Cray. Nowadays, often applied to any SGI employee who either works at one of the former Cray Research facilities (i.e. Eagan Minnesota and Chippewa Falls Wisconsin) or works primarily in vector computing aspects of the business. Sometimes considered mildly offensive by those to whom it is applied, particularly those whose work has nothing to do with vector computing. 3. A computron (sense 2) that participates only in number-crunching. 4. A unit of computational power equal to that of a single Cray-1. There is a standard joke about this usage that derives from an old Crayola crayon promotional gimmick: When you buy 64 crayons you get a free sharpener.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, this entry manually entered by rootbeer277.

Cray"on (kr?"?n), n. [F., a crayon, a lead pencil (crayon Conté Conté's pencil, i. e., one made a black compound invented by Conté), fr. craie chalk, L. creta; said to be, properly, Cretan earth, fr. Creta the island Crete. Cf. Cretaceous.]

1.

An implement for drawing, made of clay and plumbago, or of some preparation of chalk, usually sold in small prisms or cylinders.

Let no day pass over you . . . without giving some strokes of the pencil or the crayon. Dryden.

⇒ The black crayon gives a deeper black than the lead pencil. This and the colored crayons are often called chalks. The red crayon is also called sanguine. See Chalk, and Sanguine.

2.

A crayon drawing.

3. Electricity

A pencil of carbon used in producing electric light.

Crayon board, cardboard with a surface prepared for crayon drawing. -- Crayon drawing, the act or art of drawing with crayons; a drawing made with crayons.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cray"on, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Crayoned (-?nd); p. pr. & vb. n. Crayoning.] [Cf. F. crayonner.]

To sketch, as with a crayon; to sketch or plan.

He soon afterwards composed that discourse, conformably to the plan which he had crayoned out. Malone.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.